Volunteer and Service Center’s ‘Trick-or-Treat for Food’ event

In Campus News

For members in the Volunteer & Service Center, Halloween night is all about having fun while making a difference in the community.

The Volunteer & Service Center (VSC) will be taking volunteers door to door Oct. 31 in neighborhoods around Cal State Fullerton to trick-or-treat for canned goods and nonperishable items. The collected goods will be donated to Second Harvest Food Bank and Orange County Food Bank.

This is all put together and carried out by the Hunger Coalition, a volunteer project through the VSC that focuses on food and clothing-related events.

Eric Tafolla, one of the project directors for the Hunger Coalition, said volunteers should meet at the VSC (Titan Student Union Room 2) around 5:30 p.m. The event should last until about 8 p.m., said Tafolla. Dressing up in a Halloween costume is encouraged, but not mandatory.

According to Amy Mattern, coordinator for the VSC, this will be the fourth year running the Halloween Trick-or-Treat. Last year the event had 24 volunteers and collected 326 items and seven bags of recyclable bottles.

Sometimes the VSC will put up fliers in the neighborhoods letting people know that they are coming, said Mattern.

She said people have even prepared bags and boxes of goods to have ready for the volunteers to take when they come to the door.

Lauren Bailey, another project director for the Hunger Coalition, is excited for the upcoming event.

“It would be great for people to come out, whether they dress up or not, meet new people and get some canned goods to benefit the community. It’s really great way for students to hang out with other students,” said Bailey.

This event kicks off the Hunger Coalition’s annual Food Drive, which will run from Nov. 1 to Dec. 1.

The VSC will distribute fliers throughout campus with more information.