Student volunteers host used items sale to raise funds

Photo by Anibal Ortiz / Daily Titan
Students Advocating Civic Transformation (ACT) hosted its second annual Green Living fundraiser Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

The fundraiser featured a sale of used items that attracted students looking for cheap prices on clothing, books, shoes and other miscellaneous items to help fund the Social Justice Summit, which is hosted by Students ACT and the Volunteer and Service Center.

Fundraisers are scheduled throughout the year in order to host the summit each spring. The summit helps raise awareness of social injustice around the world, said Nicholas Barrington, a project director at the Volunteer and Service Center.

The summit usually consists of 30 to 40 workshops, said Barrington, 23.

Human trafficking and animal rights are just two of the topics planned for the Social Justice Summit scheduled for April 2012.

Items sold at the fundraiser were donated by an estimated 20 to 30 people, said Karley White, 21, a project director of Students ACT. Although a deadline for donations was originally set for Friday, donations were accepted until Monday evening and a final, near-5-foot-tall exception sat alone in the corner of the Quad: A brown, stuffed bear was donated during the event and sold for $7.

“I always get excited for it because I am into thrift stores, thrift shops, things that are cheap,” said Audrianna Grunauer, 20. “I guess prices under $5.”

Pricing on items ranged from $1 for VHS tapes to $5 for dresses and jackets. Baked goods were also available at the cashier for customers with a sweet tooth.

Standing in as cashier, Barrington told a customer about the fundraiser’s cause and she proceeded to tell him to keep the change.

“We tend to get a lot of people who are friendly,” said Barrington. “It helps.”

The amount of customers remained consistent throughout the day, said Barrington, increasing slightly as foot traffic increased between classes.

“We had a lot of fun doing the event,” Barrington said. “We just like everyone to get a good experience out of this event and get to see that everyone can live green in small ways just by using something that someone else may have used before.”

Tables were also set aside for other clubs and organizations that are socially aware and promote change, said White.

Standing a few feet from the men’s clothing section, Monique Ayala, co-founder of Project Protecting Animals’ Well-being (P.A.W.), handed out fliers and talked to passing students.

More information about Students ACT and the Social Justice Summit can be found on its Facebook page.