Survey shows majority of CSUF students are commuters

There are countless expenses for college students. Tuition, books, rent, utilities, food and various insurances are a few of the necessities students struggle to pay for on a regular basis.
Out of all the basic needs a student has, transportation is considered to be one of the most important, especially at a school like Cal State Fullerton.
Peter Pham/ Freelancer
CSUF is a commuting school where a majority of its students drive to school, go to class and drive home immediately afterward. Students travel from all over Southern California to attend CSUF.
A survey of 100 students revealed that 82 percent commute by car, 5 percent of students take the bus, 6 percent walk, 5 percent come by bike, 1 percent ride a motorcycle and 1 percent take the train.
The survey also showed that all 6 percent of students who walk live on campus.
Students take their own form of transportation based off of their living situation in regards to financial stability and location, but some students’ choice of transportation revolves around other factors.
Sean Ngo, 22, is an art major who chooses to drive to school because of convenience and his workload.
“As an art major, I carry a lot of projects back and forth,” said Ngo.
Ngo’s car allows him to transport his work in the most efficient way for him and keeps his projects safe from damage. He also said distance was a factor in his choice to drive to school.
Of the 82 percent of students like Ngo who drive to school, 8.5 percent of them carpool, and most of them live 20 or more miles from campus.
“I live about 30 minutes away, in Whittier, so forms of transportation like biking are out of the question and buses just aren’t reliable enough. So I carpool with my best friend, which makes transportation easier for her,” said Natalie Rodriguez, 21, a history major.
Carpooling is one form of transportation that CSUF is strongly promoting because of monetary and environmental benefits.
Ben Price, a Transportation Programs analyst, said 300 students registered for carpool parking permits for the fall semester.
On campus, carpooling provides students with designated parking spots, which can be beneficial at a school where parking can be almost impossible to find.
The carpool parking spots are located in the middle of College Park’s Lot S, south of Nutwood Avenue. The spots are reserved daily until 10 a.m. for all students and faculty with a carpool permit.
In addition to the recent carpool permits and implemented parking spaces, Price revealed a few of Parking and Transportation’s plans for the future.
Aside from the 1,200 existing bike racks on campus, the school plans to add more bike racks due to overwhelming demand. This is intended to accommodate bicyclists, as many of the bike racks fill up each day. It also encourages students to
take the eco-friendly form of transportation when possible.
Price also said a car-sharing program known as “WeCar” will be introduced on campus in the future.
WeCar is owned by the car rental company Enterprise and is a membership-based car-sharing program.
According to its website, WeCar reduces the amount of cars on the road and decreases the environmental impacts of cars by providing mostly fuel-efficient, hybrid and plug-in vehicles through the sharing of cars.
Aside from the future plans impacting students and their commutes to school, Price provided a few tips for students. 

“Consider your commuting mode when registering for classes. Avoid spending money on gas, look into alternative commuting options like walking, cycling, carpool, bus, train. There may be a great option for you that will eliminate the stress involved in driving,” said Price.

Future statistics may change with the numerous options for students.

For more information, click here.

CSUF and CSUB tip off from Titan Gym.

Titans’ second half surge not enough in first round of CIT

The chapter of Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball, where the backcourt duo of Kyle Allman Jr. and Khalil Ahmad

Multilevel marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the