Avoiding the computer during the holidays

In Opinion, Top Stories

Christmas and shopping.

Alone each word has thousands of positive meanings, but together they are a nightmare that cannot be tamed.

The worst part of shopping is around Christmas time when the parking is full and the lines wrap around the building, causing me more stress and anxiety than any exam ever could cause. Many of my friends have suggested that I do online shopping as opposed to going to the store and while this solution is fitting for Christmas gifts to others, shopping for myself is a luxury I refuse to give up or reduce to the click of a button.

Going shopping is, as for most girls, one of my favorite things to do. Anytime I have a free day you can be sure to find me at the mall strolling along from store to store with a smile on my face. It’s not so much about buying things either; sometimes looking at all the eye candy is enough of a fix.

There is so much one can learn from looking at displays in windows on how to dress. I always get outfit ideas from the mannequins. Sometimes an item of clothing can catch your eye in a store you usually wouldn’t think of shopping at. When I get tired of walking I’ll sit down at a cafe, drink a latte and people-watch.

You can’t people-watch online… legally, anyway.You can’t even try things on online! Online shopping can never beat in-store shopping for this reason alone.

Unless a girl has Adrianna Lima’s body and is certain everything will fit her, she should always try clothing on before purchasing.

If I had a dollar for every time I took in over 10 items of clothing into the dressing room and only liked one or two, I’d have my own boutique by now.

Every brand has its own version of what a size four should be and some fabrics don’t look as good on some shapes as they do on others.

The allure of online shopping is obvious—sitting at home in your pajamas ordering anything you want with the click of a button. No lines, no rude women pushing and pulling. You don’t have to look for parking and risk tripping over clothing left carelessly on the floor.

But as annoying as shopping can be in an overcrowded mall, nothing is worse than spending your weekend alone at home feeling down on yourself. Not to mention the more at home you are, the more likely you are to eat and eat and eat some more out of boredom.

I always tend to feel better about myself when I put on cute clothing and go somewhere. If you insist on keeping your shopping online, one big downfall is possible identity theft and online scams.

Online shoppers tend to let down their guards during the holiday season because they are in a rush, according to the Los Angeles Times. Avoid this by shopping secure-and-trusted brands on sites with “https://” URLs, update your computers anti-virus software, use credit cards instead of debit cards and watch what information you post online.

Also beware of suspicious emails that want information such as your Social Security number or promise a deal that sounds too good to be true (because it probably is).

So while thinking about online shopping almost makes me want to switch over to the dark side, I imagine myself at home looking like a homeless person in sweats in front of the TV with my hair pulled back. It’s a depressing and ugly sight, let me assure you. I’d rather be at the mall.

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the