Next-day mail service no more

In National News, News
The U.S. Postal Service announced a $2.1 billion cost savings proposal that would put an end to next-day service for regular mail and the loss of 28,000 postal worker jobs, according to CNN.The proposal is part of a plan to sever hundreds of mail processing facilities. The plan also includes changing its national standards for regular first-class mail, which requires a 44-cent stamp for the first ounce, to two to five days from the current one to three.

Postal officials said the move is needed to preserve the future of the USPS, which is on the brink of collapse. The move is being proposed to address an estimated 47 percent drop in regular mail expected over the next 10 years.

If the USPS proposal goes through, regular mail wouldn’t be delivered the next day as early as April and a majority of the 250 mail processing factories on the list would be closed next year.

At the moment, consumers on average receive first-class mail the day after it was mailed. After the proposed changes, it would take about two days.