SRC invites students to ‘sweat over more than just finals’

The Cal State Fullerton Student Recreation Center will be open for 24 hours and will provide ongoing shower service and free amenities during finals week from Sunday to Dec. 16.

Associated Students Inc. and the Titan Student Union have advertised the SRC extended hours and services as “Sweat over more than just finals!” on posters around campus.

SRC Director Andrea Willer said the free amenities include towel service, shampoo and body wash, Colgate Wisp mini-toothbrushes with freshening gel and hair dryers.

In addition to the shower service, the SRC will also be providing two, quiet study studios set up to accommodate 20 to 25 students each, as well as a few smaller study niches set up in other areas of the building. The Martial Arts Studio will also be set up into a dark, nap zone from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily during finals. There will also be free coffee served Tuesday of that week at 10 p.m.

The cardio rooms, weight room and track will still all be available for use.

“The SRC will be open in an effort to support student success,” said Willer. “We encourage all students to take advantage of the quiet study space and the refreshing shower and amenities.”

Willer said the idea for the extended hours and additional services developed when a member of the Titan Student Centers Governing Board asked if the SRC could open early in the morning just for shower service. The member described to Willer that students would camp out in the TSU for days and not shower.

“We took the idea and ran with it,” Willer said.

Diego Ramiro, 24, a kinesiology major, was glad to hear about the extended hours.

“It’s always important to work out. It’s good to know that I can come in anytime while I’m studying,” said Ramiro. “It’s great they are doing this.”

Alison Wittwer, Fitness and Aquatics coordinator at the SRC, feels it’s important for students to give the brain a break by exercising as they study for their finals.

“Exercise releases endorphins, which makes you feel happy and alert,” said Wittwer. “Combined with proper rest and nutrition, you will function better and be more efficient with the study time you have available.”

Willer had a similar sentiment.

“This is a very stressful time of year for students. Exercise can relieve that stress in a very healthy way,” Willer said. “We highly encourage students to take active study breaks to increase the oxygenated blood flow to their brains and bodies.”

Alongside the SRC, the TSU will also be open 24 hours until Dec. 16. The SRC and TSU programming was done in collaboration with ASI.