A talk show a day will keep protests at bay

Westboro Baptist Church is well-known for its message against gays and protesting at funerals. The members protest, going on TV or radio talk shows to share how “God hates fags” or “God hates America,” but Westboro is really a media whore who likes to annoy people.

I can’t say I disagree with their views on homosexuality; however, Westboro goes about broadcasting it in the wrong way. The way the church preaches hatred does more harm to the Christian religion than it does good.

Rather than going on scheduled protests, Westboro prefers to go on talk shows to talk about its beliefs. If it lands a talk show it tends to cancel a protest.

According to an article published by King 5 News, Westboro church members had scheduled a protest at the funeral of Susan Powell’s children, Charlie and Braden, because their deaths were supposedly “payback from God over the (Washington) State Legislature’s support of gay marriage.”

I’m not sure why God would want to kill a random person’s children for something the state government is doing, but I guess Westboro church members see reasoning behind it.

Occupy Seattle and Washingtonians were asked to help protect the Powell family from Westboro’s message of hate.

However, according to an article published by the Boston Herald, the church canceled its protest after Fred Phelps Jr. appeared on the “Bobby D Show,” a conservative talk show.

“I researched the group and found out they did interviews instead of coming to picket,” Bobby D wrote on his blog. “While not everyone will agree with our decision, we think it was the best thing to do. Our thinking was this, we would rather take the hit and have you be mad and frustrated with us than having this group show up and ruin a day that was meant for mourning two kids that were taken far too early.”

That’s what Westboro church members did last year when they scheduled a protest against the funerals of 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green and Judge John M. Roll, who were two of six people shot and killed when Jared Lee Loughner allegedly attempted to kill Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Instead, according to an article published by the Los Angeles Times, Westboro canceled its protests in exchange for airtime, and the townspeople were relieved.

The “Steve Sanchez Show” and the “Mike Gallagher Show” offered Westboro what it considered to be “substantial airtime.”

So did six other stations.

Granted, churches are generally in favor of spreading their message to as many people as possible.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, Westboro is the kind of “real-life troll” that, if it didn’t receive media coverage from every end of the country, it would probably just fade away into nonexistence.

In 2006, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder was killed during a mission in Iraq when a Humvee rolled over on him.

His father, Albert Snyder, sued the church for the intentional infliction of emotional distress. He initially won the case, but lost when Westboro appealed the ruling.

This is what the church enjoys. It enjoys lawsuits because it knows it can win since it stays well within the First Amendment.

These lawsuits give Westboro free attention because the media covers them. Don’t sue Westboro and it doesn’t receive media attention.

Now, members of the Westboro Baptist Church have plans to picket Whitney Houston’s funeral Saturday.

According to the church’s website, Houston had “a beautiful singing voice and a worldwide platform, which she should have used to encourage obedience to His Word,” but instead used her talent to glorify herself and waste her life on drugs.

“God killed Whitney Houston and cast her into Hell,” according to a Westboro news release.

Hopefully another radio station offers Westboro a chance to talk about Houston.

Because as much as we’d all like to see the church go away and take their hate speech with them, it’s almost easier for the grieving families to deal with them running their mouths on a talk show than having to deal with them picketing and disrupting the peace at a loved one’s funeral.

Hundreds of thousands march in Los Angeles and Orange County following inauguration

Hundreds of thousands of people attended women’s marches in Los Angeles and Santa Ana last weekend to promote

Former governor Michael Dukakis talks political policies at CSUF

(Photo by Katie Albertson / Daily Titan) Michael Dukakis, a professor, former three-term Democratic Massachusetts governor and the Democratic

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of

• Bob

“I can’t say I disagree with their views on homosexuality.”

You sir are a disgusting bigot. I can’t believe that the Daily Titan would publish an article by such an unpleasant person.

• cb

Westboro Baptist Church spreads its hate through picketing in our streets, provoking attacks, with abusive language and flag desecration, attempting to create a confrontation. This is not a church, this is a hate group. This is not about protesting, freedom, or God. They are in it for the money and the press; this is a family law firm. They are not a “church.” It is a scam. They go after anything that can get them in the news. This is a family of lawyers using this “god hates you” thing to make money. It is time for this scam and the hate to end.
    The church has received money from lawsuits and legal fees. For example, they sued the city of Topeka several times in the 1990s. WBC received $16,500, and is pursuing another $100,000, in legal fees for a case won in court. The WBC is considered a nonprofit organization by the federal government, and is therefore exempt from paying taxes!
    Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church is shown admitting on camera that her oldest son was born out of wedlock. Hypocritical Phelps-Roper’s vocal condemnation on strangers having sexual congress outside of marriage while she herself was guilty of the same. They are NOT what they say they are!!

• Christine Berndt

Shame on Fred Phelps & his group,they claim to be Christians but their actions tell me different. It says in The Holy Bible to & I quote from what Jeuse says”Judge ye not lest ye be judged & those without sin cast the first stone”. So is anyone of us human beings perfect? I believe not but we as Christian can strive to live clean cut Christian lives. We can witness to the un saved people & yes even love the homosexual but not their sin, I believe this is what Jeuse wants us to do love sinners but not their sins & help the less fortunate. Thank you for allowing my say so.. Amen to that brothers & sisters in Christ’s way? Peace Always:
    C.V. Berndt