Fall 2012 collections take over New York Fashion Week

In News

Fashionistas from all over the world slipped into their best outfits and eagerly waited to experience what designers had in store at Mercedes Benz fashion week for Fall-Winter 2012. The event took place in New York from Feb. 9 through Feb. 16.

Models boldly strutted down the runway in designer clothing, shoes and accessories.

From what came down the runway, it looks like Fall 2012 will be filled with a lot of dark and nude tones, layering, texture and metallic applications.

Delicate fabrics and bright colors gave many of the collections an extra pop needed to make them stand out against a sea of black pieces.

BCBGMAXAZRIA offered black, navy, green, blue, cream and hints of bright red into color-blocked dresses and trench coats.

The brand upheld their bon chic, bon genre tradition, which translates to, “good style, good attitude.”

Pops of bright and dark red were also used in color blocking and layering amongst collections from Betsey Johnson, Diane Von Furstenburg, Rag and Bone, Yigal Azrouel and Derek Lam.

Canadian designer Kaelan Haworth was inspired by “1920s decadence, art deco and

new exoticism” for her “modern Clara Bow” collection, as specified by Sara Ganus, fashion and accessories account executive for Kaelan.

According to Ganus, Hayworth has experimented by “playing with asymmetrical hemlines and redefining the button-down shirt, which she considers a wardrobe staple.”

Black is still the new black. Vera Wang, Tommy Hilfiger and Diane Von Furstenberg created bold grey and black dresses and trench coats.

Even though there were a lot of dark contemporary pieces, rest assured — the pretty sparkle was not left out. Ivory, gold gowns from Michael Kors, Diane Van Frustenburg and Rodarte added that necessary shimmer and shine.

Metal was added onto dresses and tops in order to create texture and shine — a perfect combination for bold results on dark and brightly colored dresses, as seen in designer Whitney Port’s fall collection, Whitney Eve.

However, it’s not all about seriousness. Look forward to adding loose, floral-print skirts and dresses under your thick, warm winter trench coat. According to Rebecca Taylor’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week bio, the young New Zealand native used “color, prints and textures in silhouettes that enhance a free-spirited lifestyle.”

Dennis Basso made a statement about his Orient-Express collection, in which he gave his women the ability to look fabulous — even while traveling. Thick, fur trench coats gave the models a sophisticated look.

Accessorizing is a must this fall. Clutches, satchels and over-sized hobo bags completed the designers’ collections. Bigger and unique means better.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out