Fullerton Police Chief Sellers to retire

In News

Fullerton City Manager Joe Felz announced Feb. 3 that Fullerton Police Chief Michael F. Sellers will be retiring Feb. 18.

Sellers has been on medical leave since August of last year. According to a press release from the City of Fullerton, the announcement of his retirement coincides with the resolution of Sellers’ workers compensation claim, which involves a payment of $127,000 and $22,500 in legal fees.

Sellers took his leave as many called for his resignation after six officers were being investigated for their involvement in the killing of Fullerton homeless man, Kelly Thomas. City Council members Bruce Whitaker and Sharon Quirk-Silva also called for Sellers’ resignation last year due to what they said was a failure to provide the public with a full narrative of Thomas’ death.

Sellers’ doctor has determined that he is physically disabled and can no longer perform the responsibilities as Fullerton’s police chief. He will be eligible for industrial disability retirement, which means that his injury and/or illness is job-related and he will receive monthly retirement benefits.

Police Capt. Dan Hughes will serve as acting police chief until the department finds a permanent replacement.

Obama Awards recipients wait to receive their awards at the event on Saturday.

Orange County Young Democrats celebrate victory with Obama Awards

Triumphant cheers filled the air as Orange County Democrats, including Gil Cisneros, 39th District congressman-elect and Priya Shah, instructor

A woman from the Tree Society drives a wheelbarrow full of tree parts down a dirt path.

Voices from Home: The Huntington Beach Tree Society plants trees for the community

The city of Huntington Beach often brings to mind a picturesque coastline landscape tucked close to suburban life and

Headshot of Fullerton Police Chief, David Hendricks who resigned on Friday.

Former Fullerton police chief charged with battery

Former Fullerton Police Chief David James Hendricks and Capt. Thomas William Oliveras Jr. were charged on Friday for battery