Letter to the Editor: Young whippersnappers force the oldies to catch up

In Letters to the Editor, Opinion

After reading your article “Young whippersnappers force the oldies to catch up,” I began to reminisce back to my middle school years and how I used to download music illegally.

I didn’t know any better and everyone else around me was doing it so I always thought that it was an acceptable thing to do.

I just figured for one, how would I ever get caught with so many in the world who were doing the same thing?

And two, it was easy and tangible to access and I would never have to pay a cent for music!

Boy, was I very wrong.

Now here I am, 21 years old and very much against illegal downloading.

One of the people I have to blame for my strong opinion on piracy is my boyfriend.

He’s been in a band ever since he was 7 years old and in high school his band was signed to the Jive/Zomba Records label.

I realized that if I chose to participate in illegal downloading like millions of others I would be affecting the many musical artists I have so much respect for, including my friend’s band.

Not only this, but a lot of the time music can contain viruses, bad quality and strange messages like, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.”

Lately I have been buying my own CDs from Target and also purchasing from iTunes.

Pandora is also one of my go-to music applications. I’m able to listen to all of my favorite artists and in addition I also get music recommendations based on my favorite artists.

It’s a great, free way to discover new music and to share your favorites with your friends.

One of my latest music discoveries that I am obsessed with is called Spotify. I think it is truly a genius music program for this day and age.

Spotify basically allows you to search any album or song and it lets you categorize them into playlists, allowing you to listen to the whole versions of songs as if you actually own them.

It’s basically like your very own iTunes with all the music you love, only you are the only one who can have access to them, and there is no downloading option.

With that being said, programs like Spotify and Pandora are more efficient in decreasing the need for illegal music downloading in this generation.

Cher Tobiassen
Communications Major