Mary Jane: Wow, she’s still not legal?

Some people shake in their boots at the thought of legalizing marijuana. The idea that it could be regulated and controlled like alcohol and tobacco scares the hell out of them. Those people are ignorant and disillusioned, and it’s at no fault of their own.

Both our grandparents and parents were exposed to the mentality that smoking pot will send a person into a Reefer Madness lifestyle. They were mortified at images of hit-and-run accidents, suicide, murder and rape—all at the hands of the theatrical, over-the-top dramatization of what happens when people get high.

Since we were kids, we were warned that our brain on drugs was the equivalent of a smashed egg. Let us not forget that we have also been exposed to plenty of “Just Say No” lectures, Red Ribbon Week campaigns and cheesy after-school specials about the dangerous consequences of doing drugs, specifically marijuana.

Unfortunately, these crazy, outlandish fears are built on unsubstantiated “evidence” and unfair stereotypes of drug users.
Some of the fear comes from the idea that everyone will smoke pot because it’s legal. Worried parents might think that this could have a bandwagon effect on their children, who will jump on and light up because it’s legal now. Worried anti-drug proponents might be concerned that their streets will be filled with Bob Marley-loving, homeless-looking, peace-and-love-seeking anti-social vagrants.

However, chances are someone you know, and probably someone you never would have expected has smoked pot. As it is the most accessible drug out there, more people than ever are indulging. A study by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration shows that 17.4 million people in the United States regularly smoke marijuana, a number that has increased over the past five years.

It’s already a presence and it’s already out there. People are already smoking it.

They often assume that since it is a drug, then it is bad for you; however, according to a recent study by the Journal of the American Medical Association, it is not as detrimental to one’s health as previously assumed.

The study found that smoking marijuana on an occasional basis does not significantly damage the lungs. In fact, they found that after smoking one joint a day for seven years, no damage was found on the lungs, and lung function remained unharmed.
However, that is not the case with tobacco. The study also found that, despite marijuana containing many of the same chemicals as tobacco, lung function declined with increased exposure to tobacco at a faster rate than exposure to marijuana.

Those against the legalization of marijuana are also neglecting its current beneficial uses. Its medicinal impact for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy or radiation has been significant. It has made life more tolerable for people suffering from pain and discomfort due to glaucoma. It has become a valuable and viable resource for extending the quality of life for anyone who is suffering.

Like all things, marijuana used in moderation is not—and should not—be an issue. People who are afraid of its legalization are blinded by the far-fetched and unfounded claims that have been pounded into their head since they were children.

The time has come for people to realize that their fears are unnecessary. It is now time to come out from under the shadow of disillusion and realize that the scarlet letter that was once slapped onto casual marijuana users is no longer acceptable or valid.

Cal State Fullerton Men’s Basketball optimistic entering Big West Conference play

Following a 99-56 blowout win over Bethesda, Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball enters conference play looking primed for success.

New dean of library appointed

Cal State Fullerton has appointed Clement Guthro to fill the new position of dean of the library for the

Concert Review: “Deck The Hall”

The annual ‘Deck the Hall’ event at Cal State Fullerton was the true definition of holiday spirit. As seats

• C. Murua

Exactly. People and kids need to be educated about cannabis. Just talking to someone about it does not condone its use. Cigarette use has declined for years and not because people went to jail for it. Informative campaigns on the dangers of smoking are the reason for the decline in use. With that said, I use to smoke and do not care otherwise if other people smoke. It’s their body and I have no right telling them what to do with it. Legalize, regulate, and tax cannabis!

• Brad

Forget about the recreational and medical uses, a much bigger picture of hemp is all of the industrial uses for it rope,paper,paint(oil used in it) plastics that are 10x stronger and biodegradable, our countries first flag was made out of hemp/cannabis, (cannabis in Dutch is canvas) the Decoration of Independence was wrote on hemp paper, farmers were forced to grow it in early America… how can this be if it’s illegal now?

• KOGORO

well said. 100% correct

• denbee

I am 62 years old and brought maryjane home with me from Vietnam. From my very first time with maryjane, I knew. Something clicked. Something happened, something changed. I gave up drinking, I became interested in living again, in writing and reading again, and in laughing again. She was with me for almost two years in Vietnam and she had such an profound effect on me that I brought her home with me. She helped bring a young boy home from war and helped him find his place amoung normal people. She help me sleep when my raging thoughts would not let me. She reminded me to eat when eating did not seem important. She helped me be social again and to forget. It was not easy but I owe much of my gentle re-entry back into civilian life to maryjane. I can only chuckle at those who still believe the reefer madness that our government still spits out. Especially the part about marijuana having no known medicinal value or that it will lead you to heroin. Our government also says that using marijuana causes white girls to look at black men in a lustful way…I am not kidding. Read this:

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”
    ~ Harry Anslinger,
    U.S. Commissioner of Narcotics,
    testifying to Congress on why marijuana should be made illegal
    (Marijuana Tax Act, signed Aug. 2, 1937; effective Oct. 1, 1937.)

Interesting isn’t it? Would you agree that any law based on such testimony should be recinded? I am not against marijuana, I am against racist stupidity.

• Spook

You left out that the cops who make a fortune locking people up, and getting their jollies imposing their authority over the sheeple when you are taling about the “shaking in their boots” crowd.