T-shirt company for a cause

In Campus News, Local News, Multimedia, News

In 2011, two successful entrepreneurs started a business aimed at attempting to solve their frustrations regarding global poverty.

Dale Partridge, 26, and Aaron Chavez, 19, broke the world down into seven parts of what they believe are the world’s greatest problems: hunger, fighting human trafficking, poverty, scarcity of water, disasters and assistance with both general and medical aid, which resulted in their creation of Sevenly.org.

The online-based organization is structured around the number seven and builds upon the popular trend of companies that make giving an integral part of their business.

“We really can’t get society to understand the value of giving until we can get them to give, so we built a model that revolved around this idea,” said Partridge, CEO of Sevenly.

Each week, Sevenly partners with a new non-profit charity that supports one of its world causes. Sevenly then showcases that charity by creating a unique design that embodies the charity’s mission.

Every Monday morning, Sevenly debuts a new design that’s printed on T-shirts and hoodies and then sold on Sevenly.org for exactly seven days. After those seven days, the unique design is retired for good.

Each T-shirt costs $22; hoodies cost $35.

For each product sold, Sevenly donates $7 to the charity they are showcasing, meaning the company donates around 30 percent of its revenue.

During the week, employees work diligently to campaign for that week’s cause in an effort to raise awareness and change the world.

According to the website, Sevenly is in the top 10 best companies in the world at social media engagement, and 85 percent of sales are driven by social media.

Aaron Smith, Sevenly junior web developer, said one of the most exciting parts of his job is reading customer comments on Facebook and Twitter.

“I love reading and hearing about our customers, or as we call them — co-givers — getting excited about a cause. Watching people give, and seeing them change because of it, is a phenomenal experience,” said Smith.

To date, the company, which started in June 2011, has donated $251,370 to various charities, supporting causes ranging from assisting those with autism in the United States to combating sex trafficking in Cambodia and Thailand.

Sevenly was originally headquartered in the Inland Empire, but moved into its new home in downtown Fullerton in the beginning of February.

“Having schools nearby was a main reason. We wanted to connect with the youth and be in a place where we can connect with people and be a part of things,” said Megan Lane, Sevenly graphic designer.

Ultimately, Partridge said that Sevenly would like to see people go from giving and receiving something in return, to becoming standalone givers.

For more information, visit Sevenly.org.