Students ACT to host Green Living Event

For those looking to support a more environmentally-conscious lifestyle, look no further than Cal State Fullerton’s very own volunteer organization, Students ACT.

Anibal Ortiz / Daily Titan

Students ACT (Advocating Civic Transformation) will be hosting its annual Green Living Fundraiser in the Quad Wednesday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The fundraising event is meant to benefit the organization’s Social Justice Summit.

Green Living gives students the opportunity to promote recycling by purchasing second-hand items at affordable prices. The sale will feature a variety of used merchandise, such as clothing, books, movies and more.

Nick Barrington, project director for the Volunteer and Service Center, has been collecting donations over the past month for this event.

“It’s sort of like a thrift store on campus, in a way. We collect donations from other students, friends, family, and try to encourage the idea of sustainability, of reusing materials that somebody else does not want,” said Barrington. “We sell those and all of the proceeds go to our Social Justice Summit and all of the remainder of the items usually get donated to shelters.”

The Social Justice Summit is a one-day, free event that Students ACT puts together every April. It is open to the public and offers a variety of workshops, speakers and different resources to educate people in the community about a broad spectrum of social inequality issues, giving the public the opportunity to learn more.

Amy Mattern, coordinator of the Volunteer and Service Center, said the event will educate people on how to take action on issues affecting various communities.

“Not only that, but how you can take action on those issues. It’s a student driven event, so the students plan, organize it and raise the money to put on this event,” said Mattern. “It’s really driven by their passions and what they’re interested in and what they want to learn about or what they know a lot about and what they want more people to know about. It’s a day that expresses that and gives people an opportunity to learn more.”

Karley White, project director, worked on the planning committee for Students ACT last year and has great expectations for the event this semester.

“For November, we did only one day because it’s usually kind of a smaller thing and it’s at the beginning of the year so fundraising isn’t quite as hectic,” said White.

White said Students ACT is running the event for two days this year to reach more students.

“I think they always get better because we have more experience, so they just keep getting better and better,” Mattern said. “It’s a great opportunity to help support the (Social Justice) Summit and also learn about reusing items from our daily lives.”

Students are encouraged also to give back to the community, making a difference by donating items to support Green Living. Although the deadline is Friday, students may bring their unwanted items to the Volunteer and Service Center in the Titan Student Union Room 2 until Tuesday prior to the event.

“We’ll take just about anything people don’t use anymore,” Barrington said. “It sounds clichéd but one person’s junk really is another’s treasure.”

For more information, contact the Volunteer and Service Center at 657-278-7623 or email [email protected]