Facebook should be for our eyes only

Don’t be surprised if the next time you are getting interviewed, the interviewer asks for your screen name and password to your Facebook page.

According to ABC News, companies are asking for passwords and screen names for prospective employee Facebook accounts. In other scenarios, employers are asking applicants to be friends with human resource managers, log into a computer during an interview (in front of the interviewer) to review a candidates’ profiles. Even when employed, non-disparagement agreements are required to be signed by company employees to ban them from talking bad about them on social media sites.

This is a huge line to cross for any company. Companies are checking applicants, who are people that are not even employees yet.

If companies feel they need to search a person from head to toe, then they need to create a more efficient background check for new employees.

We already know companies search Facebook and other social media sites for candidates’ information. Many of us block our Facebook pages to avoid a mess. We certainly don’t want employers to see pictures from our weekend out in Vegas last month.

However, to require Facebook information such as passwords and account information from potential and current employees is invasive and completely crossing the line. The applicant should have the option to divulge this type of information, but if one doesn’t want to give that information up, it should not disqualify applicants from a job.

The application called BeKnown searches for everything on a profile that an employer wants to look for. Some companies look at applicants friend lists and even go above and beyond and talk to friends and neighbors.

It seems that companies are taking advantage of a job market that is still unsteady and putting applicants in tough situations.

By cornering an applicant and asking them for their private information to access their personal sites, it really makes it feel like Big Brother is watching us.

After the initial shock of “Did they really just ask me that?” wears off, I would start to think about the crucial questions: How bad do I need this job? What is on my page? What will they think of me if they see my profile? What are they going to do with my information after this interview? And, most importantly, will they keep checking the page? It could make an applicant feel uncomfortable and possibly very anxious if she gets the job.

Personally, if I did end up giving my information and I got the job, I would be too anxious about the company checking my Facebook page whenever they please.
I wouldn’t be able to have a private life with my family and friends because I wouldn’t want the company prying whenever they feel like it.

It seems that every day Facebook and social media sites are being used differently than just catching up with family and friends.

Now that applications are being developed to bypass your block on public views of your profile and scooping up all the information they can get, is anything really private anymore?

Not really.

Once anything is on the internet it’s all open territory no matter how hard you try to hide it

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded