Hunger Strike to Begin May 2

In Campus News, News, State News

Students from six Cal State University campuses have announced a hunger strike in protest of six years of tuition increases in a row.

The hunger strike, set to begin Wednesday, will involve at least 13 students from CSU Dominguez Hills, Fullerton, Long Beach, Northridge, Sacramento and San Bernardino. They will supposedly fast until an agreement is made to meet demands such as a freeze in tuition and an administrative roll back in administrative and executive salaries.

The students are also asking for more free speech rights on campus, as well as an elimination of housing and car allowances for the presidents of each of the 23 CSU campuses.

According to the Los Angeles Times, CSU has had to cut classes, lay off faculty and staff members, deny the entry of thousands of students and lost nearly $1 billion in funding since 2008. A 9 percent fee increase this fall will raise the rate to $5,970 for undergraduates.

Cal State University officials have not said whether they plan to intervene in the hunger strikes. The students don’t appear to have a clear understanding of the issues, said spokesman Mike Uhlenkamp.

Cal State Fullerton baseball drops first series of season with loss to Long Beach State

Long Beach– No. 5 Cal State Fullerton (15-7) clinched its first three-game series loss of the season after giving

TV Review: Marvel clamps down with ‘Iron Fist’

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD: The main arc of “Iron Fist” is discussed in the following review, though major revelations are not revealed. 

Board of Trustees vote 11-8 to increase tuition across all 23 CSU campuses

(Todd Hadler / Sarah Wolstoncroft) The Cal State University Board of Trustees elicited student outrage Wednesday after it voted

• David

Hunger strike? Typical dramatic college students….Nobody owes you cry babies a free or even subsidized college education. If you don’t like it then go get a job and pay the tuition..