Hunger Strike to Begin May 2

In Campus News, News, State News

Students from six Cal State University campuses have announced a hunger strike in protest of six years of tuition increases in a row.

The hunger strike, set to begin Wednesday, will involve at least 13 students from CSU Dominguez Hills, Fullerton, Long Beach, Northridge, Sacramento and San Bernardino. They will supposedly fast until an agreement is made to meet demands such as a freeze in tuition and an administrative roll back in administrative and executive salaries.

The students are also asking for more free speech rights on campus, as well as an elimination of housing and car allowances for the presidents of each of the 23 CSU campuses.

According to the Los Angeles Times, CSU has had to cut classes, lay off faculty and staff members, deny the entry of thousands of students and lost nearly $1 billion in funding since 2008. A 9 percent fee increase this fall will raise the rate to $5,970 for undergraduates.

Cal State University officials have not said whether they plan to intervene in the hunger strikes. The students don’t appear to have a clear understanding of the issues, said spokesman Mike Uhlenkamp.

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball can’t hang loss on Hawaii

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball rolled into Hawaii on a four-game winning streak, but left with a 64-58 loss

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball recap: Titans lose 10th consecutive game

Fullerton – In its last game of the season at Titan Gym, Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball was unable

Cal State Fullerton baseball evens series with UNLV with 4-1 win

Following a disappointing 6-1 loss on Friday, Cal State Fullerton baseball (3-3) got revenge on the UNLV Rebels (3-3)

• David

Hunger strike? Typical dramatic college students….Nobody owes you cry babies a free or even subsidized college education. If you don’t like it then go get a job and pay the tuition..