Netflix supports piracy fight

In National News, News

After initial reports, Netflix issued a statement saying that neither SOPA nor PIPA is behind their formation of the PAC, according to Forbes. [Update 4/12/2012 at 12:21 a.m.]

Movie-streaming website Netflix has officially joined supporters of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) by forming its own super political action committee (super PAC), according to Russia Today.

Despite Hollywood and record industry support, SOPA failed to pass in Congress in both the House and the Senate, and now Netflix, the leader in legal movie streaming, is helping out by forming its super PAC, appropriately called FLIXPAC.

After the defeat of SOPA and PIPA, Congress has been trying various options that are supposed to be the solution to online piracy if they are passed.

While the latest SOPA-substituting legislation has already been authored and sent through Congress, with Netflix backing it, it could mean that President Barack Obama could sign it.

One of the newest bills is the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), which was proposed under the guise of legislation that’s supposed to implement federal protection from foreign and domestic cyber attacks.

Massive online campaigns are what stopped SOPA and PIPA and that was the last time similar legislation came close to passing.

To read the full story, click here.

Thousands of people marched through Downtown Fullerton for nationwide March for Science

Over a thousand people marched through Downtown Fullerton Saturday as part of the nationwide March For Science. Marchers filled

Fullerton Arboretum hosts annual Green Scene Plant and Garden Expo to fundraise for educational programs and upkeep

Classic guitar music played throughout the Fullerton Arboretum as visitors viewed garden related booths, artwork and new plants at

CSUF Indian Student Association hosts seventh annual culture show at Hope University

Dressed in an array of colorful traditional clothing, students from CSUF and other colleges and organizations performed high-energy Indian

• Nosgoth1979

This looks to be the latest in a line of bad business decisions Netflix keeps making. There’s a lot of public outcry going on and customers are leaving in droves. I can’t say I blame then either, I’d cancel my subscription too, if I still had one. But I cancelled Netflix a couple of months back, in favor of the Blockbuster @Home service my employer, DISH, put out. It just fits my needs better since it’s not streaming only (though it has streaming). I’m a gamer, and it includes video game rentals, as well as by-mail rentals of movies. What’s more, it has a bunch of HD movie channels, and with all those options, I simply don’t get burnt out on the streaming offerings.