BREAKING: Board of Trustees ratifies faculty union contract

In News, State News

The CSU Board of Trustees ratified a contract agreement between the CSU and the California Faculty Association (CFA) at their meeting Tuesday at the Chancellor’s Office in Long Beach.

The contract will run through June 30, 2014. In addition, the CFA’s threat to strike is set to withdraw, bringing a close to the collective bargaining process between the two sides.

However, the agreement is still on rocky ground. CFA capitol chapter president Kevin Wehr said the collective bargaining agreement is only a short-term solution and when the contract expires in two years, they will have to come up with another one.

“It’s not a perfect contract, but it is a fair contract,” Wehr said. “And in these economic times, it is the best contract we could bargain for.”

The contract, Wehr said, does not address any broad-based compensation increases or workload issues, and compensation increases, he added, are “just not in the cards.”

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

UPDATE: This article was updated on July 26 at 2:12 p.m. to include comments from College Republicans club president emeritus