Devil’s Advocate: Separation of church and state must be maintained

In Devil's Advocate, Opinion

Republican candidate Mitt Romney recently criticized President Obama for removing a phrase with the words “God-Given” on the Democratic Party platform. The platform originally spoke of people willing to work and having the opportunity to “make the most of their God-given potential,” according to CBS News.

The paragraph was changed to remove the phrase “God-given,” which was lambasted by Republican politicians and conservative pundits

Romney believes that Obama is out of touch with the mainstream American people for not including this phrase. However, when it comes to politics, religion should have no place in why someone is voted for, how they’re praised, or the way a country is run.

Obama should have stuck with the new phrase; however, he has reinstated the old one.

The more neutral phrase was a better choice. It’s a positive statement that everyone in American can relate to and won’t feel ostracized. Not everyone in this country believes they have “God-given” potential.

Romney also believes Obama is going towards an extreme wing Americans won’t recognize.  However, our country’s constitution is based on the separation of church and state.  The great thing about living in a country like America is you can freely accept in whatever religion you want, or don’t want, to believe in.

When it comes to electing a president or even a congressman, that person representing the country or state should hold up to that constitutional right. They should be neutral to both sides. They should be voted for completely free of bias.

Just because someone believes in God doesn’t mean they’re going to make a good president or congressman.

Yet others suggest that you cannot separate the two. To some degree this is true, but when it comes to politicians voicing their moral believes, and pressing it on other people, it should stay separate. There is nothing wrong with politicians who are Christian wanting to express what they believe in and how that has shaped their life.

However, it becomes a problem when their personal beliefs conflict with the life choices of the American people.

When a politician who believes his or her religious morals should be pressed upon everyone else, it forces the public to accept what the politician thinks is right or wrong. It makes it seem like everyone must accept their belief, and smothers others’ freedom of religion.

For example, the Republican Party approved a platform that calls for a constitutional amendment banning abortion. They claimed it had to do with upholding the Fourteenth Amendment: Protecting an unborn child, according to another CBS News article.  Although they say this is the reason, they most likely came to this conclusion through religious beliefs.

Religion should not be a part of politics because some politicians use the talk of religious moral issues to distract. Obama said that if Romney became president, Romney wouldn’t stop the Republican Party from making abortion illegal, but Romney denied this and they went back and forth.

Accusations like this throw off other candidates and potential voters, and can change the public choice of candidate when it comes to voting. Politicians can use this controversy to their advantage to change the opinions of voters.

The people of the country, not a politician, should decide what is right or wrong for the U.S. Americans should uphold their right to have religious freedom as well to believe what religion or God they want.