Faculty union ratifies contract with CSU

In News, State News

The California Faculty Association (CFA) has ratified a tentative agreement with the California State University, with 91 percent of CFA members in favor.

The agreement passed after nearly two years of conflict between the CFA and the CSU and will put a hold on salary increases for professors through 2012.

“(The agreement) acknowledges years of slashed public funding for the CSU and stands firm on the things faculty need to provide quality education to our students.” said Lillian Tiaz, president of CFA, in a statement.

Tiaz thanked everybody who helped the agreement pass, including those who voted yes, marched in picket lines, and participated in one-day strikes since last November.

The agreement must now be ratified by the CSU Board of Directors before negotiations are completed.

“Our next challenge will be to make our voices heard in the November 6 election,” said Tiaz.  Passing Proposition 30, she said, would help “rationalize” state funding and “roll back” student fees, while defeating Proposition 32 would allow unions such as CFA to have “a voice in the political arena.”