Amateur scientists, astronomers discover planet with four suns

In National News, News

A new planet with four suns was discovered by a team of amateur astronomers and scientists, according to NASA.

The group of volunteer scientists first discovered a double-star planet, which aided to the discovery of an additional pair of distant stars orbiting the planet.

The scientists are from Planet Hunters, a Yale-led program that NASA allows to review astronomical data for signs of planets in movement using the orbiting Kepler telescope.

There are six known circumbinary planets. The planet, given the name PH1, is the only known planet to be in the orbit of four stars.

PH1 is a bit larger than the Neptune and is believed to be a gas giant. It orbits its host stars every 137 days.

“I celebrate this discovery as the fruit exemplary human cooperation—cooperation between scientists and citizens who give of themselves for the love of stars, knowledge, and exploration,” said Kepler scientist Natalie Batalha.

Homeless struggle living on the Santa Ana riverbed

Dozens of the 4,452 homeless people in Orange County are living in tents strung along the Santa Ana River

Indivisible CA D-39 rallied on CSUF campus to support the National Endowment for the Arts

CSUF College of the Arts students performed at a rally Wednesday to encourage Titans to write to their legislators

Fullerton Planning Commission approves amendments to benefit property owners

The Fullerton Planning Commission approved new housing amendments Wednesday regarding Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) in a 4-3 vote. An

• jameson

*me amateur…space cool… :: i think i had figured out that binaryz wld b the norm, but i had never heard of stars orbiting planets…much less inside parental orbit…wtf. binaryz orbiting a planet…orbiting binaryz… 8-| what does the mass of these objects look like? my brain is a lil discombobulated…i love it! stars orbiting planets orbiting stars… also, if all stars are ‘suns’ shldnt ours hv a identifying name as others do, does it already?..