Bike thief arrested

Photo by Robert Huskey / Daily Titan

Updated (Sept. 30 at 10:06 p.m.)

University Police arrested a man Thursday who fit the description of a bike thief they said they had been looking for outside the Eastside Parking Structure.

The suspect, who first gave police a false name and was later identified as Jose Ibarra, 34, of Anaheim, was approached by officers at 1:18 p.m. An officer recognized Ibarra from the surveillance photos and information distributed to patrol officers. He was found riding a black bike and had a backpack containing bolt cutters, a hex wrench tool, a snipped wire lock and gloves, said University Police Cpt. John Brockie.

Officers questioned the suspect before detaining him in handcuffs and putting the stolen bike in a car.

According to a press release, he was arrested at the scene for an outstanding arrest warrant and possession of burglary tools.

Ibarra told police he stole the bike and had stolen another bike earlier this month, which he sold to an unknown person on the street for $50.

He consented to a search of his car and motel room in Anaheim, during which officers found a bike that fit the description of one stolen on Aug. 30, as well as another set of bolt cutters.

Ibarra’s arrest provided police with leads on a possible accomplice, according to a statement.

University Police have been focused on apprehending those responsible for the spate of bike thefts, according to a statement. Police have received more reports of bicycle thefts so far this year than in the entire 2011-2012 school year, the Daily Titan previously reported.

“For our students, the loss of a bike is significant,” said University Police Cpl. Paul McClain.

Police suggest that students use sturdier “U-locks” rather than chain-locks, which can be cut by bolt cutters such as the ones found on Ibarra.

After they are identified, the stolen bikes will be returned to their owners.