Local gang member wounded by Anaheim police

In Local News, News

An Anaheim police officer shot and wounded an armed local gang member Sunday, authorities said.

Pedro Mejia Jr., a 20-year-old documented gang member from Anaheim, was booked on suspicion of weapons violations and street terrorism after receiving treatment for his injuries at a hospital, according to Anaheim police Sgt. Bob Dunn and county booking records.

The officer-involved shooting took place about 1:30 a.m. on Narda Street, just west of Philadelphia Street, Anaheim police officials said in a written statement.

“This area has seen an increase in tension between two rival gangs,” according to the statement.

The officer spotted Majia on a bicycle and tried to make contact with him in the area of Vermont Avenue and Philadelphia Street, however Mejia did not stop, quickly changed direction and rode away from the officer, police said.

The officer went after Mejia and caught up with him, officials said.

“It was during this encounter that the officer-involved shooting occurred,” according to the police statement. Further details of the circumstances of the shooting were not available.

Mejia was treated for a single gunshot wound, police said.

As is standard procedure when an officer-involved shooting takes place in Orange County, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office has launched an investigation.

According to booking records, Mejia, whose occupation was listed as janitor, was being held in lieu of $20,000 bail pending a scheduled arraignment Tuesday in Santa Ana Superior Court.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

UPDATE: This article was updated on July 26 at 2:12 p.m. to include comments from College Republicans club president emeritus