Local gang member wounded by Anaheim police

In Local News, News

An Anaheim police officer shot and wounded an armed local gang member Sunday, authorities said.

Pedro Mejia Jr., a 20-year-old documented gang member from Anaheim, was booked on suspicion of weapons violations and street terrorism after receiving treatment for his injuries at a hospital, according to Anaheim police Sgt. Bob Dunn and county booking records.

The officer-involved shooting took place about 1:30 a.m. on Narda Street, just west of Philadelphia Street, Anaheim police officials said in a written statement.

“This area has seen an increase in tension between two rival gangs,” according to the statement.

The officer spotted Majia on a bicycle and tried to make contact with him in the area of Vermont Avenue and Philadelphia Street, however Mejia did not stop, quickly changed direction and rode away from the officer, police said.

The officer went after Mejia and caught up with him, officials said.

“It was during this encounter that the officer-involved shooting occurred,” according to the police statement. Further details of the circumstances of the shooting were not available.

Mejia was treated for a single gunshot wound, police said.

As is standard procedure when an officer-involved shooting takes place in Orange County, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office has launched an investigation.

According to booking records, Mejia, whose occupation was listed as janitor, was being held in lieu of $20,000 bail pending a scheduled arraignment Tuesday in Santa Ana Superior Court.

CSUF women’s soccer loses to Cal Poly

Despite looking to climb back up the Big West rankings after falling recently, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer was

New CSUF assistant professor challenges students to think critically

The glossy pages of Cal State Fullerton’s Tusk Magazine this spring will be produced with the guidance of new

CSUF men’s soccer defeats UCI 3-1 for third conference win

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer bounced back from a winless week with a 3-1 victory over the UC Irvine