Budget cuts force 10 courtrooms to close

In Local News, News

Due to steep budget cuts within the Los Angeles County court system, 10 courtrooms will be closed and an unspecified number of layoffs will occur, officials said Wednesday.

According to the Los Angeles Times, courtrooms in Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles, Malibu, Huntington Park, Whittier, Pomona and San Pedro face this closure. The courthouses will still handle administrative procedures like ticket payments, but they will no longer hear cases.

These cuts and closures will cause delays within the system, resulting in longer lines and delays in trials.

“It’s devastating to the court system, and it’s going to be a sea change in how we do our business,” Lee Smalley Edmon, presiding judge of the L.A. County Superior Court, told the Los Angeles Times. “Unfortunately, there are going to be longer lines in each of our courthouses and great delays throughout the system.”

Officials said civil courts will be hit particularly hard, as many will be working without court reporters. The cutbacks are set to take place over the next six months.

(Danielle Evangelista / Daily Titan)

NCAA disapproves of Marijuana usage for rehabilitation purposes

For student-athletes in college, the ability to use marijuana as a way to help heal themselves during the course

Concept art for new virtual reality experience coming to College of the Arts.

College of the Arts plans to convert a student hotspot into Virtual Reality room

The Department of Visual Arts cell block nestled between animation classrooms 185 and 189 in building E has not

Portrait shot of Van Sky, an individual who opposes sexual exploitation and abuse that occurs during peace keeping missions of the United Nations.

CSUF student researches sexual exploitation in peacekeeping missions

Twelve children and 65 adults have survived sexual exploitation and abuse on peacekeeping missions in 2018. Of these survivors,