Budget cuts force 10 courtrooms to close

In Local News, News

Due to steep budget cuts within the Los Angeles County court system, 10 courtrooms will be closed and an unspecified number of layoffs will occur, officials said Wednesday.

According to the Los Angeles Times, courtrooms in Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles, Malibu, Huntington Park, Whittier, Pomona and San Pedro face this closure. The courthouses will still handle administrative procedures like ticket payments, but they will no longer hear cases.

These cuts and closures will cause delays within the system, resulting in longer lines and delays in trials.

“It’s devastating to the court system, and it’s going to be a sea change in how we do our business,” Lee Smalley Edmon, presiding judge of the L.A. County Superior Court, told the Los Angeles Times. “Unfortunately, there are going to be longer lines in each of our courthouses and great delays throughout the system.”

Officials said civil courts will be hit particularly hard, as many will be working without court reporters. The cutbacks are set to take place over the next six months.

Illustration of the author, and young versions of of herself.

Column: Why I Won’t Carry A Child

I can’t wait to have a child! Raising a mini-me is going to be so much fun! I’ve heard statements

This is a photo of a building with several bright lights surrounding it.

Skaters and music junkies come together for Illegal Civilization Festival

Hundreds of colorfully-clothed fans were lined up outside the Pink Motel in San Fernando for the first Illegal Civilization

David Lamm stands with his wife Jessica and son Ryder after Cal State Fullerton's game at the MLB4 Tournament.

Former CSUF football player now cheers on the diamond

Called balls and strikes echoing in the Salt River Fields during the MLB4 Tournament weren’t coming from the home