Budget cuts force 10 courtrooms to close

In Local News, News

Due to steep budget cuts within the Los Angeles County court system, 10 courtrooms will be closed and an unspecified number of layoffs will occur, officials said Wednesday.

According to the Los Angeles Times, courtrooms in Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles, Malibu, Huntington Park, Whittier, Pomona and San Pedro face this closure. The courthouses will still handle administrative procedures like ticket payments, but they will no longer hear cases.

These cuts and closures will cause delays within the system, resulting in longer lines and delays in trials.

“It’s devastating to the court system, and it’s going to be a sea change in how we do our business,” Lee Smalley Edmon, presiding judge of the L.A. County Superior Court, told the Los Angeles Times. “Unfortunately, there are going to be longer lines in each of our courthouses and great delays throughout the system.”

Officials said civil courts will be hit particularly hard, as many will be working without court reporters. The cutbacks are set to take place over the next six months.

Cal State Fullerton Men’s Basketball optimistic entering Big West Conference play

Following a 99-56 blowout win over Bethesda, Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball enters conference play looking primed for success.

New dean of library appointed

Cal State Fullerton has appointed Clement Guthro to fill the new position of dean of the library for the

Concert Review: “Deck The Hall”

The annual ‘Deck the Hall’ event at Cal State Fullerton was the true definition of holiday spirit. As seats