Budget cuts force 10 courtrooms to close

In Local News, News

Due to steep budget cuts within the Los Angeles County court system, 10 courtrooms will be closed and an unspecified number of layoffs will occur, officials said Wednesday.

According to the Los Angeles Times, courtrooms in Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles, Malibu, Huntington Park, Whittier, Pomona and San Pedro face this closure. The courthouses will still handle administrative procedures like ticket payments, but they will no longer hear cases.

These cuts and closures will cause delays within the system, resulting in longer lines and delays in trials.

“It’s devastating to the court system, and it’s going to be a sea change in how we do our business,” Lee Smalley Edmon, presiding judge of the L.A. County Superior Court, told the Los Angeles Times. “Unfortunately, there are going to be longer lines in each of our courthouses and great delays throughout the system.”

Officials said civil courts will be hit particularly hard, as many will be working without court reporters. The cutbacks are set to take place over the next six months.

Over a thousand marched through Downtown Fullerton for nationwide March for Science

Over a thousand people marched through Downtown Fullerton Saturday as part of the nationwide March For Science. Marchers filled

Fullerton Arboretum hosts annual Green Scene Plant and Garden Expo to fundraise for educational programs and upkeep

Classic guitar music played throughout the Fullerton Arboretum as visitors viewed garden related booths, artwork and new plants at

CSUF Indian Student Association hosts seventh annual culture show at Hope University

Dressed in an array of colorful traditional clothing, students from CSUF and other colleges and organizations performed high-energy Indian