Budget cuts force 10 courtrooms to close

In Local News, News

Due to steep budget cuts within the Los Angeles County court system, 10 courtrooms will be closed and an unspecified number of layoffs will occur, officials said Wednesday.

According to the Los Angeles Times, courtrooms in Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles, Malibu, Huntington Park, Whittier, Pomona and San Pedro face this closure. The courthouses will still handle administrative procedures like ticket payments, but they will no longer hear cases.

These cuts and closures will cause delays within the system, resulting in longer lines and delays in trials.

“It’s devastating to the court system, and it’s going to be a sea change in how we do our business,” Lee Smalley Edmon, presiding judge of the L.A. County Superior Court, told the Los Angeles Times. “Unfortunately, there are going to be longer lines in each of our courthouses and great delays throughout the system.”

Officials said civil courts will be hit particularly hard, as many will be working without court reporters. The cutbacks are set to take place over the next six months.

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,

One pumpkin has the same medicinal benefits as supplements from the pharmacy.

Here’s why pumpkins are the superfood of the fall season

Despite the Southern California sun, fall is in full swing and the pumpkins are here to stay. Although this

A police bus blows smoke on the site of the maze.

The 17th Door provides thrillseekers in Fullerton with hair-raising maze

The 17th Door in Fullerton is easy to miss; the only thing leading thrillseekers in the right direction is