Candidates announced for Hall of Fame

In National News, News

Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens were among the 24 players announced as first-time candidates for the National Baseball Hall of Fame Wednesday. According to the Associated Press, the current ballot of potential inductees lists a total of 37 eligible players.

More than 600 members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America (BBWA) will choose a total of ten players to induct with results being announced on Jan. 9. Players require 75 percent of the vote to be inducted. Other first time eligibles include Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio and Curt Schilling.

Bonds, Sosa and Clemens remain eligible despite allegations of performance enhancing drug use over the last decade. Most recently in June, Clemens was acquitted before the Supreme Court on all charges of steroid use and obstruction of justice.

Despite, early indications by several BBWA members suggest they will not vote for any of the three players due to their association with baseball’s “Steroid Era.”

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded