Men’s basketball clips the Hawks

In Fall Sports, Sports
ROBERT HUSKEY / Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball team opened their home schedule Friday with a 106-60 victory Friday over the visiting San Diego Christian College Hawks.

The Titans, who opened the season with four consecutive road games, improved to 3-2 with their wire-to-wire victory over the Hawks (2-3).

The win was the team’s third in a row and put the Titans over the .500 mark for the first time this season. They have won all three games by double digit margins after dropping their first two games of the season at Stanford and Nevada.

Seven Titans scored in double figures including a team and career-high 16 points by starting freshman guard Jared Brandon, who added four rebounds and one steal. He also scored 13 points for the Titans in their first game of the season against Stanford.

Redshirt senior forward Sammy Yeager, senior guard D.J. Seeley and junior forward Marquis Horne all tallied 15 points for CSUF. Horne also grabbed 10 rebounds for the game’s only double-double and the first racked up by a Titan all season.

Yeager also had a very balanced game by adding eight rebounds, five assists, one block and a steal. He was tied with senior guard Kwame Vaughn for most assists by CSUF.

San Diego Christian was led by junior Andy Saharan and junior guard Derek Dickerson who both finished with a team-high nine points.

CSUF’s hot shooting was the biggest difference in the rout, as the Titans shot 57 percent from the floor off 41-of-72 shooting.

They also shot 41 percent from behind the three-point line and 10 of the 12 players that entered the game scored. The Hawks made only 22 of their 70 attempts totaling only 31 percent in field goal shooting.

The Titans had the advantages in most statistical aspects of the game including 50 rebounds, 25 assists and 54 points in the paint. San Diego Christian recorded 37 rebounds, 15 assists and 20 points in the paint.

The Titans scored 30 points off turnovers while the Hawks scored only nine. SDCC turned the ball over 19 times compared to CSUF’s 14. San Diego Christian also had zero fast break points in the game, while the Titans took advantage of the Hawks’ turnovers by scoring 18 fast break points.

The game was controlled by CSUF as San Diego never led and the game’s only tie was 2-2. The Titans opened up the game while up by seven, then went on a 15-0 run that made the score 51-29 with 3:45 left to play in the first half.

The Titans shot 64 percent before intermission, scorching the Hawks and going to the break up 56-32.

Early in the second half, the Titans once again went on a blistering 12-0 run that put them up by 35 points. The Titans ultimately won by 46.

The Titans will be tested on the road this weekend as they try to keep their record above .500. The first game takes place at Eastern Washington University at 6:05 p.m. Friday.

The team then travels to take on the University of Washington Huskies on Sunday at 4 p.m. Sunday’s game will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.

For more information on the men’s basketball team, visit FullertonTitans.com.

Thousands of people marched through Downtown Fullerton for nationwide March for Science

Over a thousand people marched through Downtown Fullerton Saturday as part of the nationwide March For Science. Marchers filled

Fullerton Arboretum hosts annual Green Scene Plant and Garden Expo to fundraise for educational programs and upkeep

Classic guitar music played throughout the Fullerton Arboretum as visitors viewed garden related booths, artwork and new plants at

CSUF Indian Student Association hosts seventh annual culture show at Hope University

Dressed in an array of colorful traditional clothing, students from CSUF and other colleges and organizations performed high-energy Indian