Men’s basketball set to play the Huskies and the Eagles on the road

In Fall Sports, Sports

The Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball team (3-2) will look to continue its winning streak this weekend as they go up north and take on the Eastern Washington University Eagles (1-5) and the Washington Huskies (2-3). After losing their first two games of the regular season to Stanford and Nevada, the Titans have reeled off three straight wins, their latest victory coming at the expense of San Diego Christian College.

CSUF dominated from start to finish against the Hawks, shooting 57 percent from the field and 41 percent from the three-point line, en route to a 106-60 win.

San Diego Christian fell to 0-4 in exhibition contests against Division 1 schools this season, as this game didn’t count toward its record.

Freshman guard Jared Brandon scored a career-high 16 points to lead six other Titans in double figures in the 2012-13 home opener at Titan Gym. Brandon finished six of nine from the field and added four rebounds in his 25 minutes of play. The CSUF starting five all scored in double figures. Junior forward Marquis Horne became the first player to record a double-double this year, contributing 15 points and a team-high 10 rebounds.

Senior forward Sammy Yeager and senior guard D.J. Seeley contributed to the Titan scoring effort with 15 points apiece. Junior forward Andy Saharan and junior guard Derrick Dickerson led San Diego Christian with nine points to lead the Hawks.

The game was tied early at 2-2 but the Hawks were never able to get closer than a point at 5-4, two minutes into the game. Both teams combined for eight consecutive three-point makes at one point but a 15-0 run by the Titans made the score 51-29 with 3:45 left in the first half. CSUF led 56-32 at halftime, due in large part to its 64 percent shooting from the field.

The Titans didn’t let up at all in the second half, going on an early 12-0 run that put them up 35 points and the game solely in the hands of the Titans.

CSUF is led by the three seniors leading the squad this season. Kwame Vaughn is shooting 54.9 percent from the field, has 18.4 points per game and is second on the team with five rebounds a game. D.J. Seeley has also been playing well, putting in 18.2 ppg and leading the team in assists per game. Sammy Yeager also has 17 ppg and is grabbing 5.8 rebounds per game.

Junior guard Justin Crosgile is Eastern Washington’s biggest threat. He leads the team with 14.2 ppg and 6.5 assists per game. Freshman forward Venky Jois leads the team at 8.2 rebounds per game and is second on the team with 12.2 ppg.

Washington is led by junior guard C.J. Wilcox who leads the team with 18.0 ppg and is third on the team with 4.0 rebounds per game. Senior center Aziz N’Diaye is averaging a double-double this season with 10.8 ppg and 11 rebounds per game.

The Titans take on Eastern Washington Friday at 6:05 p.m. and Washington Sunday at 4:00 p.m.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics