Now is your chance to change California

In Editorials, Opinion

A large amount of noise is made about voting and the decision of picking the next president of the United States, but here in California, the electoral votes that choose the president are all but decided.

Many young people look at this fact and draw the conclusion that their vote is not important, but that could not be further from the truth. There are other very important reasons to vote and more ways to change the country than selecting one leader, such as the California propositions.

With your vote, you can change the way our state government is run. You have the power with your vote, and it counts.

The Daily Titan urges you to vote. It does not matter who you vote for, or what your view of the props is. Take advantage of your democratic privilege.

Propositions such as 30 directly affect how we as students will proceed with our education. Others will affect you as you leave college and enter the workforce, most likely before the next presidential term.

California is one of the few states that allows the public to directly vote on state amendments and laws. In 2008, the now infamous Proposition 8 passed by a narrow margin of 52 to 48 percent, a victory that could have been swayed either way with a higher voter turnout.

Among students, voter turnout is generally lower than the other voting generations. In 2008, only 53 percent of the 18 to 29-year-old demographic did step out to vote in California. Other years show a similar trend; 46 percent of young people voted in the 2004 election.

If everyone takes a few minutes of their day today to check a box and sign their name, it could alter the course of an election. A campus the size of Cal State Fullerton, 37,000 students strong, can make a difference. Not to mention the other college campuses around the state.

Go vote.

Church gives back to homeless community

Differences in city and shelter codes pose conflict for homeless in OC

Homeless individuals in OC confuse respective city codes and best practice procedures within shelters, said Curtis Gamble, a 58-year-old

A map of sanctuary cities in California

California remains a sanctuary state

On Aug. 1 the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decision found that President Donald Trump’s January 2017 executive

Tau Kappa Epsilon members

Fraternity TKE looking to return to campus after 20 years

In 1998, the Cal State Fullerton chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity received several different complaints including someone firing