Photographer arrested for luring underage girls

In Local News, News
Photo courtesy of Fullerton Police Department

A self-described photographer who showed up at a Fullerton McDonald’s restaurant expecting to meet two teenage girls for a risque photo shoot over the weekend instead met with police officers, authorities said.

Coopy Boyer, 42, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of contacting minors with intent to commit a sexual offense, but was released from custody Wednesday without charges pending further investigation, according to Fullerton police officials and county booking records. He was listed as a resident of San Jose, but was believed to have been staying in Huntington Beach.

In the meantime, detectives reached out to the public in an effort to contact any other potential victims who have had suspicious encounters with Boyer, Fullerton police officials said in a written statement.

The two alleged victims, ages 15 and 16, met Boyer after he approached them Nov. 21 in the area of Goldenwest Street and Warner Avenue, Fullerton police Sgt. Jeff Stuart said. One of the girls lives in Fullerton part-time.

“He stated his name as James Keong,” said Stuart. The man claimed to represent a photography company called Zoom Exposure Photography.

The man told the underage girls they had a look he was seeking for his photographs and asked them if they would be interested in modeling, Stuart said.

The girls gave the man—later identified as Boyer—their phone numbers, he added.

“Over the next three days, they exchanged text messages back and forth,” the sergeant said, but the communications from Boyer grew more dubious.

Boyer requested to come to the home of one of the girls, where he would take “sexy photographs” of the girls “playing dress up,” Stuart said. He further told the girls he would bring alcohol with him.

“He was adamant about not having any parents around when they did the photo shoots,” Stuart said.

Alarmed by the suspicious behavior, the girls reported their encounters with the man claiming to be a photographer to Fullerton police, he said.

Police arranged for Boyer to go to a McDonald’s restaurant at Orangethorpe Avenue and Brookhurst Road, believing he would be meeting the teenage girls, Stuart said.

Boyer arrived in a black Toyota 4-Runner and attempted to flee when he saw police, according to the police statement.

Boyer could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

He threw his cell phone out the window of his SUV as he led officers on a brief chase. A police car blocked his path before his escape route was ultimately blocked by police cars at Roberta Avenue and Pacific Drive, Stuart said. He was then taken into custody.

Inside Boyer’s SUV, Stuart said, police recovered items including cameras, a computer, condoms and other “sexual items.”

“Police believe there may be other victims of Mr. Boyer and are asking anyone who may have been approached by Mr. Boyer under the guise of being photographed to contact the Fullerton Police Department,” according to the police statement.

Detective Ron Bair can be reached at (714) 738-6762.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics