SEC chairwomen Mary Schapiro to step down

In National News, News

Mary Schapiro, 57, of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) will step down as chairwoman on Dec.14 after she was found to be connected to an array of financial scandals, including the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme and the bankruptcy of the Lehman Brothers.

Schapiro was the first woman to serve as non-interim chair of the agency. During her four-year tenure, she passed strict enforcement and examination programs and also added restrictions to Wall Street.

“I want to express my deep gratitude to Mary Schapiro for her steadfast leadership at the Securities and Exchange Commission,” President Barack Obama said in a statement Monday.

Obama appointed Schapiro as chairwoman in January of 2009. It had been speculated since October that Schapiro had plans to step down from the SEC after the presidential election this year.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Commissioner Elisse Walter is likely to be the agency’s next chair.

Former CSUF professor Phil Janowicz announces 2018 congressional bid for District 39 seat against Ed Royce

“It’s only fitting that I announce my campaign where I was initially inspired to run—right here at Cal State

Former CSUF president Milton A. Gordon honored at funeral service

Friends, family and colleagues gathered Tuesday morning to honor and say goodbye to the late Milton A. Gordon, who

Daily Titan and Tusk alumni reunite for Comm Week panel on news and digital media

CSUF Daily Titan and Titan Tusk Magazine alumni reunited at the Titan Student Union for the “Life After Titan