SEC chairwomen Mary Schapiro to step down

In National News, News

Mary Schapiro, 57, of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) will step down as chairwoman on Dec.14 after she was found to be connected to an array of financial scandals, including the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme and the bankruptcy of the Lehman Brothers.

Schapiro was the first woman to serve as non-interim chair of the agency. During her four-year tenure, she passed strict enforcement and examination programs and also added restrictions to Wall Street.

“I want to express my deep gratitude to Mary Schapiro for her steadfast leadership at the Securities and Exchange Commission,” President Barack Obama said in a statement Monday.

Obama appointed Schapiro as chairwoman in January of 2009. It had been speculated since October that Schapiro had plans to step down from the SEC after the presidential election this year.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Commissioner Elisse Walter is likely to be the agency’s next chair.

Former governor Michael Dukakis talks political policies at CSUF

(Photo by Katie Albertson / Daily Titan) Michael Dukakis, a professor, former three-term Democratic Massachusetts governor and the Democratic

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of

Red Oak, interim city manager approved

(Photo by Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan) Over 100 Fullerton residents congregated in the Fullerton City Chambers for the