Times are changing for Black Friday

In National News, News

As eager bargain shoppers prepare for the biggest holiday of the season, Black Friday is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Retailers are opening their Black Friday sales as early as Thursday, with shoppers skipping out on holiday festivities and Thanksgiving feasts.

Toys R Us and Walmart are among the first retailers to announce their “Black Friday” deals, which would begin at 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 22.

Last year Walmart opened at 9 p.m. and Toys R Us opened at 10 p.m.; each year pushing sales at even earlier times.

Retail employees have petitioned to push back opening times back to Friday so they can celebrate Thanksgiving at home.

Retailers are worried Americans are less willing to spend freely this holiday season and have not fully recovered from the economic recession between 2007 and 2009. This fear has caused stores to battle on who opens first for Black Friday.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded