Titans encouraged to vote in election

The post-election buzz is still high, two days after Titans queued up at poll stations to get their votes counted.

In the aftermath of the election, students continue to debate and discuss politics and results, a discussion that was encouraged by on campus organizations throughout this election season.

Associated Students Inc., in part with the 23 campuses in the California State University, made it their mission to get students registered to vote and educated about the issues at stake.

California State Student Association (CSSA) contributed in the push for the CSU to register voters. The final count for the entire system was well over 30,000.

At Cal State Fullerton, through a series of events and awareness campaigns, ASI registered over 2,000 new student voters.

Now in the aftermath, students speak about what compelled them to get to polling stations or fill out vote-by-mail ballots in the 2012 election.

Breanna Helsley, a second year kinesiology major, said she feels it is important to make her voice heard, especially on certain issues.

“I decided to vote in this election because I think it’s really important to get my voice heard. There’s a lot of things that really affect me, especially as a college student, so I thought especially with (the propositions) it was really important that I was doing my job to help myself and other college students,” said Helsley.

Aaron Talvy, a third year kinesiology major, said he agreed his vote was most important in regards to the state issues rather than the national ones.

“I feel it’s important to vote for the propositions. Even though I didn’t care much about the presidential elections, it was more about getting the propositions passed, especially Prop. 30 for CSUF students,” said Talvy.

Proposition 30, which passed, will increase the sales tax in California by one-fourth of a cent in order to fund education and keep tuition in the CSU at a minimum.

In addition, it will give a small refund to students in exchange for past tuition hikes.

Unlike the presidential election, which is largely decided by the electoral college, state propositions can be decided by the popular vote.

Many students like Helsley and Talvy were concerned about Proposition 30 and what would happen in the outcome of the election.

Students have expressed concerns over the past few months and noted that, if for nothing else, they realized their voice could make a difference when it comes to the California propositions.

Campaigns through CSSA and ASI drove students out to register and educated them on why their vote was important.

There was a polling place located on campus at the George G. Golleher Alumni House.

Students who live and registered on or around campus could come out and vote right on campus.

Fabian Silva, a second year business marketing major and vice chair of ASI Lobby Corps, tabled throughout the campus on Election Day to get students out to the polls.

Silva said his perspective was shaped by an experience he was able to have through his position in ASI.

Silva said students are a group politicians seem to disregard, because students do not care about voting.

“As students, we should be heard just as much as any other interest group,” said Silva.

Silva said his concern resulted mainly from positions on the ballot that would threaten students and their education directly.

“I voted because I firmly believe in students having a voice. This past year I went to Sacramento to lobby for higher education and one of the staff members told me, ‘We are for education, but you have to understand that students are not our main constituents,’” Silva said. “After hearing that, it really hit me.”

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / Courtesy of Amazon Studios

Review: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” reaches new heights

The social conservatism in New York during the 1950s only makes Miriam “Midge” Maisel much more marvelous as she

(Danielle Evangelista / Daily Titan)

NCAA disapproves of Marijuana usage for rehabilitation purposes

For student-athletes in college, the ability to use marijuana as a way to help heal themselves during the course

Concept art for new virtual reality experience coming to College of the Arts.

College of the Arts plans to convert a student hotspot into Virtual Reality room

The Department of Visual Arts cell block nestled between animation classrooms 185 and 189 in building E has not