Edison endows science awards

In News

Edison International has awarded the Cal State University system a $200,000 scholarship to fund low-income transfer students.
The Edison Scholars Program will help fund first-generation and community college students transferring to the CSU.

The scholarship program is designed to assist students majoring in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).

Cal State Fullerton, the coordinating campus and other CSU campuses including Dominguez Hills, Los Angeles, Northridge and San Bernardino, were among the award recipients.

Flor Tolley, community investment manager at Edison, said the company was looking at awarding scholarships to CSUF for students that had been disadvantaged from community colleges in applying to CSU campuses.

Edison had previously awarded the scholarship five years ago. The scholarship from 2007-2011 was $150,000, but increased to $200,000 in 2012, said Tolley.

Each individual scholarship was $3,000 per year for a two-year period, Tolley said.

This year, Cal State Fullerton and all but one other school will award scholarships to 14 students at each campus. At Cal State Dominguez Hills, 10 students will receive scholarships, according to a press release.

To be eligible for the scholarship, a student must be transferring to one of the five participating CSU campuses from a community college in the local Southern California Edison area. They also must be studying one of the STEM majors, said Kandy Mink Salas, associate vice president of student affairs.

The students will continue to receive the money as long as they stay eligible by maintaining a good GPA, Mink Salas said.

Mink Salas said the scholarship money allows students to work less hours, so they can focus on their studies.

According to a press release, CSUF President Mildred García thanked Edison officials for their continuing support.

“They are true friends and supporters of our campus and students,” said García, adding that the gift will make a lasting impact on the lives of those pursuing higher education.

Garcia is a first-generation college student, and understands the impact that a degree has on families.

“It touches their family and entire generations after them when they earn a college degree and go on and do great things,” she said.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded