Fullerton city council elects new mayor

In Local News, News

Final results from the Fullerton election announced Tuesday name Bruce Whitaker as the new mayor and Jennifer Fitzgerald and Jan Flory were appointed to serve in the City Council, according to the Orange County Register.

Whitaker was unanimously selected as the first new mayor since the police killing of Kelly Thomas in 2011, which raised criticism at members in City Hall.

“This is an amazingly diverse … city and that makes it sometimes a bit unruly” said Whitaker, who has served on the council for two years.

“My first term … has been very tumultuous and I expect that there will be moments like that in the next term as well,” Whitaker said.

Doug Chaffee was unanimously chosen as the mayor pro tem; the position which steps in as mayor if the mayor is unavailable.

Flory served on the council from 1996-2000. This is Fitzgerald’s first time in council.

Thousands of people marched through Downtown Fullerton for nationwide March for Science

Over a thousand people marched through Downtown Fullerton Saturday as part of the nationwide March For Science. Marchers filled

Fullerton Arboretum hosts annual Green Scene Plant and Garden Expo to fundraise for educational programs and upkeep

Classic guitar music played throughout the Fullerton Arboretum as visitors viewed garden related booths, artwork and new plants at

CSUF Indian Student Association hosts seventh annual culture show at Hope University

Dressed in an array of colorful traditional clothing, students from CSUF and other colleges and organizations performed high-energy Indian