Hearing postponed in beating case

In Local News, News

A hearing on a defense motion to dismiss charges against two former Fullerton police officers accused of beating a mentally ill homeless man, Kelly Thomas, to death was postponed Friday.

According to the Orange County Register, a motion to delay the hearing until Jan. 18 was carried by Orange County Superior Judge William Froeberg. Defense attorneys John Barnett and Michael Schwartz filed a motion for a continuance to prepare additional legal briefs.

Former officers Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli were charged in connection to the death beating of a 37-year-old Kelly Thomas.

Thomas was killed after a violent confrontation erupted at the Fullerton Transportation Center with six police officers in July 2011.

Ramos pleaded not guilty to second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of Thomas. Cicinelli also pleaded not guilty to charges of manslaughter and excessive force.

Thomas’ father and former Orange County Sheriff’s deputy Ron Thomas asked the judge to move the trial “in a speedy manner” in the interest of his son, since 14 months have passed since the incident.

The renovated Universal Cinema at CityWalk offers laser projection, recliner seats and cocktails

Hollywood directors Steven Spielberg and Jordan Peele were among the esteemed guests celebrating the opening of Universal Studios’ new

All the Arts for All the Kids Foundation hosts a charitable auction for children’s education at the Fullerton Museum Plaza

Tables were lined up beneath a white canopy where an array of art pieces from hundreds of artists were

Young Theatre hosts a sexy and cliche ‘Wild Party’

Somewhere in between “Chicago” and “The Great Gatsby” lies the vibrant themes and catchy tunes of Tony-nominated producer Andrew