Huskies maul the Titans

In Fall Sports, Sports
ROBERT HUSKEY / Daily Titan

Coming off a tough four-point loss against Eastern Washington, the Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball team (3-4) looked to bounce back against a formidable University of Washington (4-3) squad Sunday. Unfortunately for the Titans, they are now on a two-game losing streak as they went down against the Huskies 74-72.

CSUF dominated the first half, going into the half up 43-29. The Titans offense was powered by senior guard D.J. Seeley who scored 15 points and one assist and a steal all in the first half. Field goals went the way of Fullerton, as they scored 18 compared to only nine for Washington. The Titans also dominated on the boards and points in the paint. Fullerton had seven more rebounds and ten more inside points as well.

The only bright spot for the Huskies in the first half was the play of sophomore forward Desmond Simmons, who had four points, nine rebounds and two steals. Washington also shot well from the free throw line, going 9-11 from the line, good for an 81.8 percent.

The second half was a completely different story for both teams, as Washington dominated in almost every aspect of the game en route to a two-point victory. Simmons play was stellar once again, putting up ten points and nine more rebounds and a block. Junior guard C.J. Wilcox was the top performer in the second half however, scoring 14 points to go along with five rebounds.

Washington shot lights out, going 15-30 from the field in the second half. They also made 10 more free throws than the Titans and outrebounded them by five. The Huskies also dominated the paint, 26-16.

Seeley was the top scorer for the game, putting up 24 points, three rebounds and five steals in 32 minutes. Redshirt sophomore guard Alex Harris contributed for the Titans formidably as well, scoring 14 points, six rebounds and four assists and 27 minutes.

Simmons’ double-double was huge for the Huskies, as he finished 14 points and a career-high 18 rebounds. Wilcox put in 21 points, five rebounds and three assists in 37 minutes.

Fullerton had an unsuccessful trip to the state of Washington, going 0-2 in their road trip over the weekend. On Friday against Eastern Washington, the Titans offense was held to 16 points below their season average on their way to a loss against the Eagles. The loss also ended the Titans’ three-game winning streak. After being up seven points at the break, 46-39, CSUF led by as many as nine points on three different occasions early in the second half. The Titans couldn’t keep up their momentum however and went on to lose 79-75.

Men’s basketball now has their eyes set on Cal State Bakersfield, who they will play on Dec. 6. Senior guard Stephon Carter is leading the Roadrunners this season, scoring 12.9 points per game, 4.9 rebounds per game, and 17 total steals. Sophomore guard Javonte Maynor has been a good compliment to Carter, putting up 12.3 points per game and shooting 42 percent from the three-point line.

For more information, visit FullertonTitans.com.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

UPDATE: This article was updated on July 26 at 2:12 p.m. to include comments from College Republicans club president emeritus