Obama visits Newton, Conn.

In National News, News

President Barack Obama arrived in Newtown, Conn. Sunday afternoon to meet with the parents of the 20 children who were killed along with six other women at an elementary school shooting Friday.

The president met privately with the families at Newtown High School, where he was also scheduled to speak at an interfaith vigil to mourn the victims, most of whom were just 6 or 7 years old.

Obama also met with the first responders of the incident behind closed doors.

As the vigil began, the first responders of the incident received a long standing ovation from attendees as they entered the high school auditorium.

In his speech, Obama conceded that no words could match the sorrow of the tragedy that had occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary, but pledged that change must come in the wake of it.

“Newtown, you are not alone,” said the president, according to NBC News. “This job of teaching our children and keeping them safe is something we can only do together.”

Hundreds of thousands march in Los Angeles and Orange County following inauguration

Hundreds of thousands of people attended women’s marches in Los Angeles and Santa Ana last weekend to promote

Former governor Michael Dukakis talks political policies at CSUF

(Photo by Katie Albertson / Daily Titan) Michael Dukakis, a professor, former three-term Democratic Massachusetts governor and the Democratic

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of