OCTA’s future chief is on hold

In Local News, News

The board will vote again to appoint the head of the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) due to a violation of state law.

According to the Orange County Register, the appointment of Darrell Johnson to OCTA’s top job is up in the air because several members’ terms expire before a new vote can take place.

A small committee of board members, whose terms are close to expire, selected Johnson for the job without exploring other potential candidates and sent his appointment to the board for a final vote.

According to the Brown Act, California’s open meeting law, local agency boards are prohibited from calling special meetings to consider the compensation of prospect agency executives. OCTA’s general counsel, Ken Smart acknowledged the infraction that took place at a special meeting at the agency’s board.

The current 17-member board will get at least nine new members in December and January as representatives from city councils see their terms expire and are replaced by new members.

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded