Senator proposes donation reform

In News, State News

California Senator Lou Correa has proposed legislation that would require “dark money” groups to publicly reveal themselves.

This legislation proposal follows a recent incident in which the California Fair Political Practices Commission was forced to take legal action against a nonprofit organization that contributed $11 million in opposition of Gov. Jerry Brown’s policies. After initially refusing to reveal where the money was coming from, the nonprofit was eventually forced to turn over records.

The records merely revealed that they received the money from another nonprofit, who in turn received it from yet another nonprofit.

The state still has yet to discover the original source of the money.

Correa’s proposed legislation Senate Bill 27, would require nonprofit donations to follow the same rules as state campaigns.

Under these conditions, the organization has to be less than two years old or must have given more than $500,000 in their first contribution to a campaign.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics