Students host fundraising events for those in need

Cal State Fullerton students, faculty and staff have the opportunity this week to participate in events aimed at assisting patients recover from alcohol or drug abuse through rehabilitation programs.

The two-day awareness and blood drive event is hosted in part by the work of four CSUF business students.

The first day of the event, Monday, is aimed to raise awareness for Operation Rehab, a non-profit organization founded three years ago by President Steve Connally.

Connally describes Operation Rehab as an organization that “raises funding to pay for quality in-patient alcohol or drug rehabilitation for addicts who can’t afford it on their own, which most people (in that situation) can’t.”

The Kogi food truck will be parked in Lot R, between the Titan Student Union and the State College Parking Structure Monday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Operation Rehab will set up a booth with free candy, a donation box and brochures with information about their organization. Titan Radio will also be on site to play music for the participants.

Students can also sign up for the Blood Drive taking place on Wednesday from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. For this event, Operation Rehab partnered with Blood for Missions, whose bloodmobile will be parked outside of the Kinesiology and Health Science building.

Every blood donor, Blood for Missions will donate $20 to Operation Rehab, said Leah Espinoza, a sophomore business major. She is working on this event as a group project with three other students in their honors Business Writing class.

“It’s a service learning site that we have to be employed at for our project and we have to offer our business writing skills to them to be able to practice what we’re learning in the class,” said Espinoza.

The group worked with Connally to create an event for students to help raise funds for Operation Rehab. Hayden Koch, a sophomore business major, said he enjoyed working on the back-office work leading up to the events.

“We created like two fliers, we have a memo that we wrote and a paper and presentation that we’re doing that all goes along with it,” said Koch.

Students are encouraged to visit Blood for Missions and Operation Rehab’s websites.

Operation Rehab can be contacted via email at [email protected] or phone at (714) 943-0940.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics