Construction expected to be complete in two weeks

In News
Standard_WEB
Photo by Robert Huskey

The construction in College Park is coming to a close as the project to convert the faculty parking lot into a safe walkway for students is expected to be completed in about two weeks.

The project, which is estimated to cost nearly $750,000, has faced several setbacks throughout its construction, according to Jim Alexander, director of property development for Auxiliary Services Corporation (ASC) of Cal State Fullerton.

Alexander said problems arose when reaching proper compaction for the concrete being placed on the patio. Inspectors tested the compaction and deemed it unstable, forcing the workers to spend additional time fixing the problem.

Along with the issues of compaction, Alexander said the recurring rain affected the workflow as well.

“We’ve had some opportunities in the form of rain which has slowed us down,” said Alexander. “Yesterday, we were pouring concrete in the rain to complete this and get it done.”

Alexander described his vision of College Park to invite students to congregate in a friendly environment. The walkway will lead to a patio full of tables and benches with Wi-Fi accessibility.

The palm trees and lights placed along the walkway are the same as those placed in front of Langsdorf Hall, creating a pattern between the two buildings. Alexander said the project also reduces potential dangers of accidents caused by students walking through the parking lot.

“We felt the need to eliminate pedestrians and cars meeting each other,” Alexander said.

David Glenn, contractor of David E. Glenn Construction, said the majority of the construction will be completed Monday. The main and west entrances will be open to students, though the cul-de-sac will still be fenced off to prevent students from entering dangerous work areas.

“It has nothing to do with blocking students from traveling, I don’t want them to trip in the hole,” said Glenn.

Alexander said the renovations to College Park are the first step to the development of the CollegeTown project. The CollegeTown project is a joint venture between CSUF, Hope International University and the city of Fullerton to provide a better student atmosphere around the neighboring campuses.

Alexander said the hope for CollegeTown is to attract more students by creating a center for students complete with restaurants and nightlife attractions.

He said the school is currently having meetings with the Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) about the closure of Nutwood Avenue. This is an ongoing project that will be completed in a few decades, added Alexander.

“It’s not a turn around, it takes a long time,” Alexander said. “You have a lot of different property owners and everyone needs to come together.”

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

Anthropology lecturer Eric Canin will return to teach at Cal State Fullerton this fall after Arbitrator Jan Stiglitz concluded