Film forecast for 2013

In Arts & Entertainment, Film & TV

You’ve survived the end of the world and made it to year 2013 packaged with several promising and highly anticipated films to look forward to.

There’s something for everyone, so here’s your personal guide for the notable upcoming movies of 2013.

Spoiler: It’s going to be a great year for film.

Books, books, and oh look, more books: 

Nothing motivates fans to delve into a book faster than a feature A-list film, and luckily for us, there are still plenty of book-to-film adaptations waiting to be released.

Some highly anticipated young adult book-to-film adaptations include The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, set to come out Nov. 22.

Ender’s Game comes to theaters Nov. 1. And a treat for supernatural fans is the first of a new series, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, which hits theaters Aug. 23.

For fans of classic literature, Oz: The Great and Powerful is set for March 8, and The Great Gatsby is due out May 10.

With the leaps and bounds made in lighting technology, the new adaptation for Gatsby will not include the cast sweating in every scene, as they did in the 1974 version.

That’s something to look forward to since sweating profusely was not mentioned in the book. After all, people like it when a movie stays true to the book.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is set for Dec. 13.

Since Peter Jackson decided that roughly every 100 pages of the story would get its own three-hour film, fans can look forward to the immersive details of middle earth, as Bilbo’s adventure journeys on.

Comicbook heroes continue to save the day: 

Women love him, men want to be him and babies want him as their father. On May 3, Tony Stark comes back in Iron Man 3. If you’re not a fan of Robert Downey Jr.’s one-liners, you have a darker and far more epic storyline to look forward to.

Thor: The Dark World comes out Nov. 8. There has been great clamor about a team-up between Thor and Loki to take down the Dark Elf, Malekith the Accursed.

Loki has already attempted to steal the throne, so if anyone else dares to take it, he or she will have the god of mischief to answer to.

Comic fans also have the DC reboot of Superman, Man of Steel to look forward to. Directed by Zack Snyder and set for June 14.

Rounding out the comic releases, Wolverine travels to Japan in the sequel to the story of the beloved X-Man in The Wolverine, set for July 26.

Manly action flicks… and Bruce Willis: 

If you like action, things that go boom and Bruce Willis, you can see all three in G.I. Joe: Retaliation set for March 29.

The Die Hard series also continues with these three elements in A Good Day to Die Hard where John McClane reunites and kicks some serious ass in Russia with his son, Jack, played by Jai Courtney. Hitting theaters Valentine’s Day, take your sweetheart to witness the carnage.

Ron Burgundy gets his own category because he’s Ron Burgundy: 

The talks of a sequel to Anchorman have been made official. Ron Burgundy and his news crew will be back in action in Anchorman: The Legend Continues Dec. 20.

Will Ferrell and cast are back to keep the holidays (specifically in San Diego) classy. Kristen Wiig, who is rumored to be in the film, would bring a new level of humor to the Anchorman saga.

Movies in space: 

Star Trek Into Darkness has created plenty of buzz with a dark and dramatic trailer that reveals Benedict Cumberbatch as the new villain. Fans can catch this May 17.

Gravity, directed by Alfonso Cuaron, stars George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, an unlikely combination that will draw in fans Oct. 18.

The end of the world: 

World War Z stars Brad Pitt and a hoard of zombies. If that combo isn’t enticing enough, I don’t know what is. Catch it June 20.

For more comedic relief about predicted doom, see This is The End, set for June 14. Actors, including James Franco, Jason Segal, Emma Watson, Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd and many more play themselves at the end of the world.

If you prefer British comedy, dynamic duo Simon Pegg and Nick Frost reunite in The World’s End, which doesn’t have a scheduled release date but is set for sometime in 2013.

Give thanks the world didn’t end; we proved the Mayan calendar wrong. Sit back, relax and pry into this 2013’s most highly anticipated movies.

Hundreds of thousands march in Los Angeles and Orange County following inauguration

Hundreds of thousands of people attended women’s marches in Los Angeles and Santa Ana last weekend to promote

Former governor Michael Dukakis talks political policies at CSUF

(Photo by Katie Albertson / Daily Titan) Michael Dukakis, a professor, former three-term Democratic Massachusetts governor and the Democratic

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of