Community commemorates life of Mexican author Carlos Fuentes

In Campus News, Local News, News

In light of his recent passing, a celebration will be held at Cal State Fullerton in honor of Carlos Fuentes, a Mexican author known for his involvement in diplomacy, culture and politics.

The event will take place at McCarthy Hall Room 513 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday.

Professors from various colleges will speak at the event including James Hussar, a CSUF Spanish and Portuguese professor; Raymond Williams, a Spanish professor at UC Riverside; and Maarten Van Delden, Ph.D., a Spanish and Portuguese professor at UCLA.

Hussar is one of the main organizers of the event. He said Fuentes was a major voice in Latin American literature for more than half a century and made significant contributions as both a novelist and literary critic.

He hopes the event will show a profound appreciation of Fuentes’ works.

“Undergraduate and graduate students in our Spanish program study several of his works,” said Hussar. “Consequently, the event will expand our students’ knowledge of this iconic figure.”

With the Mexican seal, the Mexican government recognizes the event as a cultural representation of Mexico. Council Alejandra Garcia Williams from the Mexican Consulate of Santa Ana will be there as well.

Juan Antonio Tavarez, another event organizer, said by having the council present and with the Mexican seal, CSUF will promote itself as a University that supports and celebrates the Mexican culture inside and outside of Mexico.

This event is of great significance to CSUF because our university unites with Latin America and Europe to celebrate the life of Carlos Fuentes, said Tavarez.

Janett Merino, 53, a Spanish and human service major, said this event is significant to students because speakers will guide attendees on understanding concepts in Fuentes’ literature.

Merino added that recognizing Fuentes’ work is important to her and the community because he is a renown author who answered many of her questions about history of the Latin culture.

She considers Fuentes an important contributor to scholars because he brought to light many secrets that are hidden throughout history.

Cal State Fullerton Men’s Basketball optimistic entering Big West Conference play

Following a 99-56 blowout win over Bethesda, Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball enters conference play looking primed for success.

New dean of library appointed

Cal State Fullerton has appointed Clement Guthro to fill the new position of dean of the library for the

Concert Review: “Deck The Hall”

The annual ‘Deck the Hall’ event at Cal State Fullerton was the true definition of holiday spirit. As seats