On solemn day, state honors fallen hero

In Local News, News, State News, Top Stories

funeral1_webA funeral was held on Wednesday morning for slain Riverside officer Michael Crain who authorities said was killed on duty last week by former Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner.

The procession attracted more than 7,000 attendees, including California Gov. Jerry Brown.

At least a dozen helicopters circled the church, Grove Community Church in Riverside, during the procession.

Dozens of patrol cars and motorcycles trailed behind the hearse, escorted by two police cars, at around 8:30 a.m.

Crain, a former U.S. Marine, was buried at the Riverside National Cemetery.

Riverside Police Chief Sergio Diaz addressed the 34-year-old’s family at the service. Crain’s wife, Regina, as well as other friends of Crain’s spoke during the 90-minute funeral service.

The funeral also featured a slideshow with music including Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, according to the Press-Enterprise.

Crain’s partner was also shot but is expected to recover, according to authorities. His identity has not yet been released.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics