Graduate artists showcased at Grand Central

In Art, Arts & Entertainment, Student Art
Photo by Andres Martinez
Photo by Andres Martinez

When realizing that fear was what was keeping her from pursuing her dream, that’s when Prisca Langlais, 27, a Masters of Fine Arts, decided to pursue her graduate degree and overcome her fear of failure.

Just six months after arriving at the Grand Central Art Center (GCAC) in Santa Ana, Calif. from Montreal, Canada, Langlais work is now displayed at the GCAC Residents Exhibition.

Langlais, now a resident of 26 Grand Central apartments, shares a spotlight with 14 other graduate level artists and residents.

Her exhibition Collection is an array of one drawing and five maquettes, which she uses as tools to make her drawings. The maquettes are objects covered by wax, “hiding the original objects, like layering over so much that you cannot recognize it. You lose touch with the original object,” said Langlais.

Even though, her exhibition consists of mixed media, her true passion is drawing.

She enjoys drawing for the meticulous attention it requires, admitting she is a perfectionist in her craft.

“I love the craft part of drawing and I think it’s a powerful medium and more unique than drawing,” she said. “In museums the fair majority of art are paintings. You can’t really start a painting in the bus, but you can draw anywhere.”

Clare Shadduck, 28, Masters of Fine Arts and Grand Central resident believes that Langlais drawings “give (these) fabricated objects a new meaning and new context for us to experience them.”

Langlais doesn’t want her art to be depressing but instead motivational, encouraging and inspiring.

“I want to feel that I am helping and that I am doing something that helps society, something that has value and a positive impact,” Langlais said.

Langlais’ latest project, “Church Stadium,” is eight by 12 feet and won’t be finished for another eight years. The drawing will contain 3.5 million seats, representing Montreal’s population or the number of homeless people in the America.

“It will enable you to visualize yourself as part of society,” Langlais said.

Langlais hopes to make an impact in California with her art.  Her drawing, Joel, is displayed in the traveling show “Touch, Anoint, Heal: God With Us” which will travel all around the U.S. for four years.

She hopes to one day own her own studio by the beach and teach at a university in California.

Tiffany Ma, 27, Masters of Fine Arts in Photography and Grand Central Resident shares the same passion in art.

Ma’s exhibition, Chairs for Grandpa, consists of five wire chairs. Since she was first introduced to working with wire, she fell in love with working with the material.

Ma was inspired to create this collection after visiting her grandparents in Hong Kong.

Their old furniture inspired the theme of her project.

Ma was worried that her grandpa would fall off the chair during his naps. Since she couldn’t afford to buy her grandparents new furniture in Hong Kong, when she came back from her trip and she started to create furniture.

“I like what happens in my imagination because of the possibilities. I like making this type of object because they are like a doorway to my imagination,” Ma said.

Since her younger years, Ma has grown much confidence through the obstacles she’s overcome to pursue her dreams.

Both Ma and Langlais love living at Grand Central. Not only they have an apartment to live in, but also each of them has an art studio.

“Living there is great. We are a community. We can get feed back immediately. Gives me the impression that I am moving into the professional world,” Langlais said.

The GCAC Resident Exhibition will continue till April 21, 2013. For more information on the Exhibition visit GrandCentralArtCenter.com

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics