Obituary: Remembering Monica Quan

John Pekcan / Daily Titan
John Pekcan / Daily Titan

Monica Quan, an assistant coach in her second season withthe Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team, was found dead late Sunday, Feb. 3. She was 28.

Monica was found by Irvine police with fiance Keith Lawrence, 27, inside a parked car, victim of a shooting that police have characterized as a double homicide. The search for the alleged shooter, Christopher Dorner, is ongoing.

The Titans honored their assistant coach at Saturday’s game against UC Riverside. It was the women’s basketball team’s first game since Monica’s death.

“We want to do our best as the season goes on to honor Monica Quan by the way we play,” said Head Coach Marcia Foster at a press conference following the game. “By the type of student athletes that we are, and carry her memory on in … a positive way because she was such an outstanding person … she was a great assistant coach for me.”

Monica’s first coaching job came as lead assistant coach for Cal Lutheran University before joining the Titan women’s squad.

“She was (more than just a coach) and it was nice because she was so young, and so she was someone that we could all talk to, someone we could go to and we could talk about things besides basketball,” said Alex Thomas, the Titans’ team captain. “That was nice for all of us and I think sometimes you take for granted the little conversations you have with people.”

As a player, Monica began her career at Walnut High School, becoming a star on the court. She was eventually given a spot in the school’s Hall of Fame. Following her graduation, she attended Cal State Long Beach, playing two seasons as a 49er from 2003 to 2005.

She transferred to Concordia University in Thousand Oaks and graduated in 2007 with a degree in exercise and sports science, eventually earning her master’s degree in 2009.

“She was the best of the best. She came from a quality family and she was a quality person and we’re going to miss her,” Foster said.

Search for next CSUF president will begin after other CSU president searches conclude

Framroze Virjee replaced Mildred García as the President of Cal State Fullerton on Jan. 1 after his predecessor was

Technology amplifies unhealthy relationship practices

People love to point fingers, find someone to blame to make themselves feel less guilty and play victim; perhaps

‘Den of Thieves’ takes the heist genre into a new realm

Few in American history have pulled off the perfect heist, like the leader of the “Wild Butch Gang,” Butch