Police identify shooting victim

In Local News, News

The first victim in a shooting rampage that spread across Orange County early Tuesday, was identified by police on Wednesday.

Courtney Aoki, 20, of Buena Park, was shot multiple times in a Ladera Ranch home Tuesday morning, according to the Orange County Register.

The shooting spree began as suspect Ali Syed, 20, allegedly killed Aoki inside his family’s house around 4:45 a.m. Tuesday, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

Syed then fled north on the 5 Freeway toward Santa Ana. He allegedly killed two other people off the 55 Freeway, in Santa Ana and Tustin, before killing himself in Orange, police said.

One of the victims, construction worker Jeremy Lewis, 26, lived in Fullerton.

Police have not identified the motive in the killings as well as Aoki’s relationship to Syed. Police believe his only weapon was a shotgun.

On Wednesday, police released two 911 calls from Syed’s parents soon after the incident. In the first, Syed’s mother is heard with an alarm sounding in the background, according to the Register.

His father called soon after. “I think they got into a fight or something,” he told police, according to the Register.

Syed was unemployed and attended Saddleback College part-time, police said.

An ExploreTalent.com profile lists a Courtney Aoki, age 20, from Los Angeles, as an actor and model.

A Courtney Aoki residing in Buena Park was also mentioned in a 2010 Los Angeles Times article about a summer high school arts program at the Orange County Performing Arts Center, though it is not confirmed that the woman in the article is the same person.

“I’ve always wanted to be an actress, and this is helping me towards my goal,” she said in the article.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics