Titans hope to end long losing streak

In Sports, Spring Sports
JOHN PEKCAN / Daily Titan
JOHN PEKCAN / Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team (7-17 overall, 3-9 in Big West) will look to get their season back on track as they take on the University of the Pacific on Thursday and UC Davis on Saturday. The Titans are currently riding an eight-game losing streak, their last win coming over a month ago.

The Titans’ most recent loss came by the score of 43-39 at the hands of a lowly UC Irvine squad. The Titans’ undoing came in the latter part of the game against the Anteaters as Fullerton converted on just four of 27 second-half field goals for an underwhelming 14.8 percent.

Despite the inconsistent shooting performance, the Titans still had a shot to win the contest, as they led 39-37 with two minutes left to play in the game after sophomore guard Chante Miles made a steal at half court then took it the to the basket for two points.

That would be the last points the Titans would score however, as the Anteaters went on a 6-0 after the Miles layup to seal the win. When the final buzzer sounded, CSUF ended up shooting 12-50 for the game for just 24 percent.

The basketball team will travel to Stockton, Calif., tonight and take on a reeling Pacific team. Although the Tigers are 19-6 this season and 9-4 in Big West play, three of those losses have come in their last four games.

Senior forward Kendall Rodriguez is leading her team this season, scoring 12.5 points per game (ppg). She is also shooting 80 percent from the free throw line and just over 36 percent from three point territory. Sophomore forward Kendall Kenyon and junior guard Gena Johnson have also provided the squad with some valuable minutes on the court.

Kenyon is averaging 11.6 ppg this season and is shooting a staggering 57.3 percent from the field. The sophomore is also a stalwart on defense, bringing down 10.7 rebounds and averaging 1.7 blocks a game. Johnson has also scored 11.5 ppg and has a 42.7 percentage from the field.

On Saturday, the Titans will then go to Davis, Calif., and tip off against a 10-14 Aggies team. UC Davis is just 5-8 in the Big West and 1-4 in their last five games. Their most consistent performer thus far has been sophomore forward Sydnee Fipps, averaging 16.8 ppg and shooting over 82 percent from the free throw line. She also has accumulated 42 steals.

Senior guard Courtney French has also played well, averaging 11 ppg and is second on the team with 3.5 rebounds per game.

As a team, the Titans have not shot well all year. Their field goal percentage is at 31.1 thus far and are shooting 25.7 percent from the three point line.

Sophomore guard Chante Miles has been their most consistent player this season, averaging 10.6 ppg and 2.2 steals per game.

Junior guard Alex Thomas has also given CSUF some valuable minutes, scoring 8.6 ppg and shooting 75.0 percent from the free throw line.

For more information, visit FullertonTitans.com.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics