Fashion: Men’s tips and trends

In Arts & Entertainment, Columns, Fashion
Photo by Kymberlie Estrada
Photo by Kymberlie Estrada

DO

Groom – Although you’ve just about tired out the grizzly bear mane but can’t seem to part ways with it, the weather calls for some needed grooming.

Although the logical approach to staying cool as the temperature heats up may just be to shave it all off, it may not suit well with the ladies. A little stubble shows a man is mature, masculine and a romantic type.

Celebrity heartthrobs like Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp have all rung true to the this current trend. But don’t go James Hardin on us, keep it at a manageable length and choose a style that’s right for you.

Hair – It’s been tested and proved; a simple side-part works every time. You can achieve this look with short or medium-length hair.

This early sixties, Mad Men-esque hairdo says a lot about a man, without saying much at all. It shows he’s intellectual with a soft spot, while still maintaining a casual vibe.

The classic side-part is quick and easy to do. Use a minimal amount of pomade or gel and run it through your hair and you’re set for the rest of the day.

Ask for a woman’s opinion – While women specialize in putting together their own outfits, they have a keen eye for men’s fashion as well.

Whether it be your sister, girlfriend or retail sales associate, women can be the closest thing you’ll get to a personal stylist.

While it’s been said to trust your instincts, when it comes to fashion, trust her instincts. You say it’s blue, while your better half says it’s periwinkle. You say it’s denim, when it’s really chambray.

Girls are experts when it comes to styling, hint the excess amount of Vogue or ELLE magazines piling up in her room.

Tattoos – Now don’t go out and randomly get a tattoo, but if you got it flaunt it. You spent big bucks on it anyhow, don’t be afraid to show it off.

Tattoos show an artistic and individualistic man. They can also convey stories that help others get a better sense of who you are.

The rebellious art form is no longer limited to the bad-boy stereotype. The emergence of tattoos have spread to the kept-to-himself book nerd to the clean-cut pretty boy.

DON’TS
Too many layers – Stick to two or three layers at most when styling your outfit. Don’t go overboard, you might come off as a hot shot. Be subtle when choosing what to pick.

Layers can spruce up a traditional basic outfit such as a t-shirt and jeans.

Avoid oversized garments that can weigh you down and add bulkiness to your figure. Choose fitted pieces for a sophisticated, well put together look.

Wear minimal accessories, such as a backpack or watch, to add class and sophistication to an outfit.

Matching – Unless you’re a pre-teen girl, matching is a thing of its past.

Color or pattern matching, for example, your shoes, belt and hat say you took way too much time choosing your outfit.

Don’t base your outfit on that purple Nike sign on your shoes.

Use blue, grey and brown to tone down bright and bold colors.

Wearing sweatpants to class – Yoga pants is as far as it goes when athletic wear becomes acceptable to wear to school.

You’re not a chick, plus you don’t have the challenging task of trying to squeeze into skinny jeans, hopefully.

Men’s clothing is comfortable as is. Girls are allotted an exception to this rule.

Tank tops as outerwear – More and more college men are sporting this trend. Save it for the gym. Tank tops on guys say you’re trying really hard to look cool, which doesn’t resonate in any girl’s list of turn-ons.

Former governor Michael Dukakis talks political policies at CSUF

(Photo by Katie Albertson / Daily Titan) Michael Dukakis, a professor, former three-term Democratic Massachusetts governor and the Democratic

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of

Red Oak, interim city manager approved

(Photo by Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan) Over 100 Fullerton residents congregated in the Fullerton City Chambers for the