Homeowners guilty of negligence

In Local News, News

An Orange County jury found a homeowners association guilty of negligence for not resolving an issue between neighbors at a Trabuco Canyon condominium over a smoke dispute.

The family had to move out of the condo and rent a unit elsewhere because of secondhand smoke since it was affecting their young son’s asthma condition.

The jurors awarded a family $15,500 split two ways, $6,000 for economic damages and $9,500 for emotional distress. The condo association and management failed to ensure the non-smoking family’s right to the enjoyment of their own unit.

The verdict was part of a growing trend of non-smokers in California complaining to homeowners associations, filing lawsuits and trying to stop smoke from entering their apartments and condominiums by appealing to city councils.

California Assemblyman Marc Levine, a San Rafael Democrat, filed a bill that would eliminate smoking in condominiums, apartments and duplexes. It will be aimed at secondhand smoke but would not

Lecturer Eric Canin to return to CSUF following investigation into misconduct

UPDATE: This article was updated on July 26 at 2:12 p.m. to include comments from College Republicans club president emeritus