Measure ensures transgender rights

In News, State News

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, introduced a legislative measure last week to ensure the rights of transgender public school students, according to USA Today.

Measure AB-1266 would guarantee transgender students the right to use restrooms and join sports teams that correspond with their identified genders.

If approved by Gov. Jerry Brown, the measure would disregard sexual categories that appear on student records, giving precedence to their transgender status.

The measure comes on the heels of a recent public complaint from a Colorado family that their first grade daughter, who was born male, was not allowed to use the girl’s restroom.

Massachusetts made strides toward similar legislation introducing a policy granting the protections mentioned in Ammiano’s measure. However, this type of legislation is still unprecedented.

Transgender discrimination is illegal in California and supporters of the measure at the Transgender Law Center say it is necessary to specify rights of transgender individuals.

Former CSUF professor Phil Janowicz announces 2018 congressional bid for District 39 seat against Ed Royce

“It’s only fitting that I announce my campaign where I was initially inspired to run—right here at Cal State

Former CSUF president Milton A. Gordon honored at funeral service

Friends, family and colleagues gathered Tuesday morning to honor and say goodbye to the late Milton A. Gordon, who

Daily Titan and Tusk alumni reunite for Comm Week panel on news and digital media

CSUF Daily Titan and Titan Tusk Magazine alumni reunited at the Titan Student Union for the “Life After Titan