Measure ensures transgender rights

In News, State News

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, introduced a legislative measure last week to ensure the rights of transgender public school students, according to USA Today.

Measure AB-1266 would guarantee transgender students the right to use restrooms and join sports teams that correspond with their identified genders.

If approved by Gov. Jerry Brown, the measure would disregard sexual categories that appear on student records, giving precedence to their transgender status.

The measure comes on the heels of a recent public complaint from a Colorado family that their first grade daughter, who was born male, was not allowed to use the girl’s restroom.

Massachusetts made strides toward similar legislation introducing a policy granting the protections mentioned in Ammiano’s measure. However, this type of legislation is still unprecedented.

Transgender discrimination is illegal in California and supporters of the measure at the Transgender Law Center say it is necessary to specify rights of transgender individuals.

Titans guard Ian Fox secures mid-season release from men’s basketball team

Titans guard Ian Fox secured his release from the men’s basketball team last week. Neither Fox nor Titan Athletics