Measure ensures transgender rights

In News, State News

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, introduced a legislative measure last week to ensure the rights of transgender public school students, according to USA Today.

Measure AB-1266 would guarantee transgender students the right to use restrooms and join sports teams that correspond with their identified genders.

If approved by Gov. Jerry Brown, the measure would disregard sexual categories that appear on student records, giving precedence to their transgender status.

The measure comes on the heels of a recent public complaint from a Colorado family that their first grade daughter, who was born male, was not allowed to use the girl’s restroom.

Massachusetts made strides toward similar legislation introducing a policy granting the protections mentioned in Ammiano’s measure. However, this type of legislation is still unprecedented.

Transgender discrimination is illegal in California and supporters of the measure at the Transgender Law Center say it is necessary to specify rights of transgender individuals.

Cal State Fullerton’s first female black president dies on New Year’s Day

(Photo courtesy of CSUF) Cal State Fullerton’s first black female president Jewel Plummer Cobb died at the age of

Red Oak, interim city manager approved

(Photo by Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan) Over 100 Fullerton residents congregated in the Fullerton City Chambers for the

Point-In-Time Count homeless census seeks volunteers

Orange County organizers of the biennial Point-In-Time Count are seeking Cal State Fullerton volunteers to assist with the homeless